Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Dreaded Heads Up!

Old
Dreaded Heads Up! - Thu Feb 20, 2014, 11:03 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
BronzeStar
I play a lot of 9 player tables and find myself in 1 on 1 situations quite often. I really struggle with this part of the game and was wondering if anybody else out there struggles with this and how they overcome it?

I'm really terrible, for example, in heads up I could be sitting with 10K and the other person 2K but eventually they end up evening out with me and then winning! I get annoyed a little because really I should have won it easily. From the start I often have the highest chip count, sometimes by a long shot and then I go and lose it at the most important part. This happens all the time unless I get a great hand.

I'm fairly selective with my hands but when I have a long run of terrible hands I end up raising with them just to stop getting blinded out. If the person calls my raise or re raises, I end up having to fold and lose even more.

Old
Thu Feb 20, 2014, 12:25 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
The best thing that you can do for HU play is to watch Andre's videos in the library. They're golden.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 20, 2014, 12:31 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hello,

"I'm fairly selective with my hands but when I have a long run of terrible hands I end up raising with them just to stop getting blinded out. If the person calls my raise or re raises, I end up having to fold and lose even more."

That is the reason why you are bleeding chips when H U. You should be entering with cards that normally you would dump and then not just folding when the reraise comes your way. Believe me your opponent is getting trash just as often as you are the difference is they are probably playing you rather than their cards.

Read articles on heads up play and develop your own very loose range then when your enemy raises your blind you can confidently click it back and give him the problem.

The other question is what stakes are you playing. Consider that if a person is playing multi tables then they are looking to cash rather than win and will usually call anything when heads up as sometimes the difference between first and second place money doesnt justify the extra time involved in winning.

Old
Thu Feb 20, 2014, 04:10 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Thank you both

I'll read up on the link. sounds good.

I play SNGs, 9,45 and 180s. They are my strength but never cash games and rarely tourneys as don't like turbo and extended registration. Usually $3.50, sometimes $7 buy ins. For me the difference between first and second is quite significant so i'd really like to beat this problem.
I've raised with things like 89o in the past and even re raised but often the other person may shove and that's what worries me.

Thanks again, off to do some practice

Old
Fri Feb 21, 2014, 07:56 AM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2013
In heads up any hand you enter the pot you need to be prepared to go all-in, otherwise you'll be handing chips to the villain and you'll soon be the shorter stack. If you are the chip leader you can shove with a very wide range, any connecting or suited cards or any Qx+. You can get a quick read on someone in heads-up and it seems that your opponent is exploiting you as they know your likely to fold to a re-raise. You will find that sometimes they will have a good starting hand but mostly they will have mostly trash. I went through a phase of the same folding to aggression, if you tend to end up coming 2nd going in with a wider range won't hurt.

Old
range - Fri Feb 21, 2014, 04:04 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
If not prepared to go all in don't play... okay doke, got it.

I watched the videos.

I won two SNGs today out of my 6 games and came third in one. I got to heads up twice so each heads up I won.
Feeling more confident already. Appreciate the help.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com