Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Calculating Pot Odds

Old
Calculating Pot Odds - Thu Feb 20, 2014, 05:28 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013
Hey, folks!

I was re-reading the Cash Game course material, and I came up a doubt on how you calculate pot odds and especially, WHY it's done that way:

The situation is in the first line of tutorials, the second hand. You KJo, raise from CO to 6, button goes all in for 21 and the tutorial says you are supposed to call BECAUSE YOU ARE PAYING 15 TO WIN 45, SO YOU ONLY NEED TO WIN 33% OF THE TIME.

Now, blinds are 1 and 2, you raise to 6, get 3-bet to 21, so there are 30 chips in the middle. The only way the pot will be 45 is if you COUNT YOUR CALL! Since the decision you make is prior to investing those 15 dollars, shouldn't the math be: you nave to call 15 to win 30? I mean, you have to bet 15 to win back your 15 plus another 30, it doesn't feel right to me that you calculate pot equity with the total of the pot including your call when you haven't made the call yet and are deciding whether it's worth investing those 15?

Could anyone explain why?

Thanks!

Old
Thu Feb 20, 2014, 05:41 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Max_Kane!

If we call, the pot will get 15 more from us, so it will be 45. What I have to put into the pot to call always needs to be added and leaving it out is a common mistake that newer players make (know I used to screw it up years ago when I started out too).

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 20, 2014, 06:17 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2013
Can you elaborate as to why that is, John, please?

Thanks!

Old
Thu Feb 20, 2014, 06:22 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
pot odds = total pot size (including all chips)/ what I have to put in

or if you want to look at it as pot equity, PE = chips I put in / total pot size

If I play the hand, what I would win will include what I have to put in, not just what's already in it.

I basically always use equity.. numbers are easier for me to do in my head when playing.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JWK24; Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 06:38 PM..

Old
Thu Feb 20, 2014, 07:55 PM
(#5)
The wording is wrong. As you pointed out you are calling 15 to win 30,not 45. In odds that would be 2:1.

For equity it should read something like: You must call 15 which makes the pot 45 and gives you 33% equity.

Odds = pot : call

Equity = call / total pot * 100

It takes some getting used to and when you hear it enough you'll know which they mean most of the time.

For me odds work best when betting and equity when I do drawing calcs using the 2% rule.

But I am quite comfortable with math, although the arithmetic still bugs me incessantly.

Good decisions are mathematically correct whether math reasoning is used or not. (Think about it!)

Old
Thu Feb 20, 2014, 10:06 PM
(#6)
Since: May 2011
I don't like the idea of adding what you may call, so creating a future pot size to evaluate the then equity. This has nothing to do with direct/immediate pot odds.

The quoted "SO YOU ONLY NEED TO WIN 33% OF THE TIME" really annoys me. It just confuses the simple mathematical odds and outs ratio method, whether you have a price to call.

PS. Remember TrumpinJoe and I on this topic >here< a while back.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: old thread

Old
Fri Feb 21, 2014, 06:47 AM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2013
including the call is useful precisely because it allows you to visualize the "33% of the time" number which is a crucial factor when making a call.

Old
Fri Feb 21, 2014, 06:48 AM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2013
let me add that the 2:1 odds notation is evil

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com