Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

When to leave a table?

Old
When to leave a table? - Fri Feb 21, 2014, 05:40 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2014
Hi,
I've been playing a lot of .01/.02 Hold'em tables and wondering when is the best time to leave the table. Lets say i bring in a dollar and get up to two bucks. Should I leave the table since i doubled up? What if there is a maniac at the table? Should i just stay and try and get more chips out of him since he is willing to give them away or not risk the chips i have won? Thanks

Old
Fri Feb 21, 2014, 06:46 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2012
I have been watching Felix Schneiders (xflixx) "Grind it up" series that he is making. He talks about that in one of the recent episodes, maybe in episode 63, 64, or 65, I forget exactly which one. What he basically said was that if he is sure that he is still playing his "A" game, then he will keep playing regardless of whether he is winning or losing. It's when you start to notice that you are making bad plays that you normally wouldn't do, like if you start playing scared to lose etc, then that's when it's time to take a break. That seems to make a lot of sense to me. The trick is to be self aware enough to recognize when you start getting away from your A game I guess, lol. I suppose that comes with practice.

I think that there is nothing wrong with leaving while you are ahead, but if there is a huge fish there who you think will give you more money then why not stay? Keep in mind, though, that if you start getting that feeling like you want to leave, but you are just staying because there is a huge fish there who you think you can win more money off of then you have to ask yourself if you are still playing your "A" game or not. If the answer is no, then you might want to take a break.

Link to his blog: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blogs/PSO-xflixx

Old
Fri Feb 21, 2014, 07:00 AM
(#3)
Thanks for the response. Yeah, if you are really feeling it, it's really hard to leave the table. But sometimes i get three of a kind on the flop and end up losing to a flush. But i guess i just have to be more careful and try and bet more after the flop to try and flush-out the people that are going for the flush. And I will most def check out those videos.

Thanks again

Old
Fri Feb 21, 2014, 07:00 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2013
First be aware that some players consider it to be bad manners to quit when ahead just to join another table with original buy-in. Personally I don't worry about those whiners.

The criteria you shoul use to make that decision are:
a) is the stack becoming an uncomfortably large portion of your bankroll? If so, by all means change table if you worry that fact will affect your game.
b) are there other big stacks on the table that have an edge over you playing bigstacked or on later streets in general? if so leave the table before you get slaughtered
c) are there other big stacks on the table that you think you have an edge over? in that case you might want to continue despite the risk because it will be +EV in the long run.

if no other player has a large stack, then there is no disadvantage to continuing.

Last edited by TweedleBeetl; Fri Feb 21, 2014 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: typo

Old
Fri Feb 21, 2014, 07:52 AM
(#5)
Thanks, Good advise.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com