Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl 6-Max donk Betting

Old
2nl 6-Max donk Betting - Fri Feb 21, 2014, 01:28 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2014
My Thought Process

The villain continuously annoyed me because he attempts to steal my blind whenever he has a position. Later on, I defended my blind with a raise, but he re-raised every time (putting me in a discomfort zone because my hand range was no way near 3-bet range most of the time). However, I was looking for an opportunity to shut him down because he viewed me as a weak player (since he could push me around whatever he liked). His stat was(58.33/16.67), basically telling me he opened every card he had. When I saw the flop, I got my top-pair. The question was should I call, re-raise or all in. My basic instinct was all-in for two reasons. One reason was this is a micro-stake. People often called all-in when they could not value their hands. Second reason was he viewed me as a weak player. My all-in may told him, "I do not have a hand but going all-in because I want to shut you off. You are annoying as hell!!". My QT had a better range then what he had in my mind, which solidify my decision. Truly, after some time, he called my all-in (patted on my back).

Now the question is did I execute my donk betting right? Is it the right board texture? After hearing PSO podcast "Donk Betting with Dale Philip" Episode 4, I want to have a fully understand how to donk bet. Thank you so much.

BTN: 48.5 BB (VPIP: 44.44, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 9)
SB: 38 BB (VPIP: 58.33, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 48)
Hero (BB): 41.5 BB
UTG: 70.5 BB (VPIP: 59.12, PFR: 14.36, 3Bet Preflop: 5.80, Hands: 184)
MP: 120 BB (VPIP: 17.53, PFR: 11.04, 3Bet Preflop: 3.03, Hands: 154)
CO: 50 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB, CO posts penalty blind 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.5 BB) Hero has Q:diamond: T:heart:

fold, fold, CO checks, fold, SB raises to 4 BB, Hero calls 3 BB, fold

Flop: (9 BB, 2 players) T:diamond: 5:heart: 7:club:
SB bets 9 BB, Hero raises to 37.5 BB, SB calls 25 BB

Turn: (77 BB, 2 players) T:club:

River: (77 BB, 2 players) 9:heart:

Old
Fri Feb 21, 2014, 02:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi, aznhaxor!

This isn't a donkbet. This opponent raised preflop so it makes sense for him to bet OTF.

DONKBET: An unexpected bet (a bet out of nowhere), which is hard to interpret for opponents as it doesn't seem to follow the pattern of the previous betting sequence.

First of all, you're playing really short and so is your opponent. QTo isn't a hand that you're going to want to play vs. anyone this short unless there's been a raise a call and you're closing the action or sometimes on the BTN but even then it's really just not a good hand when you're this short.

My line vs this opponent with your hand would be as follows,
OTF: Call his pot sized bet
OTT: If he bets again... which I expect he'll do, you move all in

Old
Fri Feb 21, 2014, 08:43 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2014
In general, I agree. However, his VIP is 58.33. Basically, opening every hand he has. I think QT beats many random hands. On top of that, I had a position on him. Thanks for clarifying the donkbet and your view.

Old
Sat Feb 22, 2014, 04:09 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
I'll analyse the hand shortly, but first to clear up a definition:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt eh View Post
This isn't a donkbet. This opponent raised preflop so it makes sense for him to bet OTF.

DONKBET: An unexpected bet (a bet out of nowhere), which is hard to interpret for opponents as it doesn't seem to follow the pattern of the previous betting sequence.
Dirt eh - you're correct that this isn't a donkbet that aznhaxor is facing, but your definition of a donkbet is wrong:

A donkbet is where on the flop, someone who is out of position leads into the pre-flop aggressor.

It's called a donkbet because if you have a strong hand, you can expect the preflop aggressor to CBet often enough that you can check/call or check/raise your strong hands to get more value instead of leading out when your opponent might fold. Therefore this was a play mainly made by donks who didn't know that the opponent would CBet often. Of course when used right, the donkbet can be a fine play

Old
Sat Feb 22, 2014, 04:37 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
Now onto the hand...

I could tell as you were writing this post that this guy sent you on tilt and I guess this also translated into your play against him... I know how this feels because it's easy to feel like your ego and manlihood are hurt when you feel like someone is raising a lot and picking on you all the time. However having a guy who is playing 58/16 directly to your right is massively profitable opportunity that you don't necessarily come across that often, so just use his favourite mistakes against him!

First advice - don't play short-stacked if you can avoid it, set your auto top-up to 100BB so you can always fully take advantage of the many #fischigespieler that you find at 2NL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznhaxor View Post
The villain continuously annoyed me because he attempts to steal my blind whenever he has a position.
You are sat directly to his left, out of the 48 hands you've played with him, you've had position on 40 out of those 48. Let him have his fun the 1/6 of the time he is on the button and you are in the small blidn and you can nail him when you have a strong holding

Quote:
However, I was looking for an opportunity to shut him down because he viewed me as a weak player (since he could push me around whatever he liked)
This is tilt talk. I'll talk more about how you should be playing below.

Quote:
His stat was(58.33/16.67), basically telling me he opened every card he had.
You've mis-interpreted these statistics. 48 hands isn't a great sample size but I think his numbers are strange enough to characterise him as a recreational player. However he is far from "opening any two cards". He's actually limping and calling far more often than raising. I'd call him loose passive rather than loose aggressive.

I think your preflop call is fine but probably a bit more marginal because you are only playing with 41.5BB, so you're often going to be making a decision for your stack with a marginal holding because the stack-to-pot ratio is relatively small.

You flop two pair. Your preamble indicates that villain is very loose and likes to pick on you. The mistakes this guy makes is that he bets too much. Why would you want to discourage him from doing this when you have a strong hand like top pair? By shoving, you fold out all his crap that he might well bluff with again on the turn.

My plan here would be to call flop and get all in on the turn when he bets again.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com