Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL 6 max Zoom with AA - alternative line taken pre-flop

Old
10NL 6 max Zoom with AA - alternative line taken pre-flop - Sat Feb 22, 2014, 05:36 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
So, I've decided to finish off the end of the month with some 10NL, and played a little session this morning.

At 10NL, villains are sadly less willing to stack off with their random nonsense than their 2NL cousins, so because of the dynamic I felt (Dont have a lot of stats at 10NL yet) might play out here I wanted to play this a little differently.

The hand played out a little different post-flop than what I was planning so it doesnt need any analysis at all. I just want to check if my plan for the hand was ok.

Dealt AA UTG and make a standard raise, get a call and a reraise from a short stack, I decided to call instead of 4bet as I wanted to keep the other big stack in the hand. I am playing a little deeper with him and have him covered.

If I take this line I know it might mean some difficult decisions post-flop including potentially folding the best hand sometimes.

I flatted with the intention of letting the short stack go with his hand post-flop, as he should be stacking off fairly liberally here, I intended to just call, try and bring the other big stack along, with him either shoving to try and isolate, which I would call, or then committing on the turn in a big pot.

Does this seem at all reasonable? I took it as an alternative line to my normal uber aggressive line, but I dont really consider it a slowplay as such, I just thought I would try and make some use of the shortstack in the hand.

The big stack kind of ruined the plan but......

Old
Sat Feb 22, 2014, 07:04 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Three reasons why I'd 4bet: 1. the 3bet looks strong against UTG open + MP call so I expect them to get the money in a good amount of the time. 2. AA does not play well in a MW pot and more importantly 3. we are OOP to a deep stacker

Old
Sat Feb 22, 2014, 07:12 AM
(#3)
So we are only ever playing this hand one way?

Old
Sat Feb 22, 2014, 07:54 AM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
I say this is harder, because OOP. I think in position one could make an argument for flatting raise anyway. I think this line isnt bad, and yes, this is being results orientated, but i think unconventional is the way to go sometimes. Like few days ago i was playing tourney where i had maybe 25-30 BB stack and very aggro opener to my left, so i just open limp Aces and guess what, this guy raises, i 3bet, he 4bets, then i just flat and when he shoves flop i snap call and has no pair no draw. I mean vs specific villains you can do this and get creative with big pairs sometimes.

Old
Sat Feb 22, 2014, 08:13 AM
(#5)
That's the thing, I openly accept that the way I planned to play this potentially makes it more difficult for myself, but I was willing to make the trade off between playing OOP and keeping both players in.

The next 99 times I play the hand it will be a 4bet and likely stack off when shortie shoves.

Guess I just got too inventive here.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com