Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

did i palyed that set correctly ?

Old
did i palyed that set correctly ? - Sat Feb 22, 2014, 05:37 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2014
[re

Last edited by ingenium92; Wed Feb 26, 2014 at 07:15 AM..

Old
Sat Feb 22, 2014, 06:19 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2013
Without definite reads, the call preflop is marginal because your stack is barely big enough to make set mining profitable.

Flop call is definitely not profitable. If you think villains minbet signifies weakness raise or shove, otherwise fold.

Turn raise is ok.

River is fine of course. You have the 3rd nuts and if you are beat it is just a cooler.

Old
hi - Sat Feb 22, 2014, 06:22 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2013
BronzeStar
Hello,

Big stack can afford to keep calling you with a flush draw, there's not much you can do at this stage. That was unlucky.

If it were me, I'd possibly re raise pre flop to around 1600 to show you have strong hand.
Once the flop comes, I'd shove all in as pretty short already and want to continue showing that I have a stronger hand than them. This way there is pressure on big stack to continue play right from the start. Don't let them get to the river easily.

I try as much as possible not to get into hands with big stacks as they always have the upper hand. Unless you have a real beast of a hand or are prepared to go all in pretty early with your shorter stack, then I'd be folding the 7s straight away and wait to play with shorter stacks.

That's just me

Old
Sat Feb 22, 2014, 11:28 AM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
*Moved to analysis section* - Fadyen

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 22, 2014, 03:42 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi ingenium92!

With 77, I get a min-raise in front of me. When I want to call to setmine, I need to have 15X the bet in both my stack and the opp's stack. Here, I don't have that many, so I cannot just call preflop and hope to flop a 7. I either need to raise or fold. If I raise, I need to raise to between 3X the previous bet (1200) and a pot-sized raise if it's larger (which here it's not). Raising to 1200 also is close to creating another problem. It doesn't quite pot-commit me (1/3 of my remaining chips), but it is over 20% of my chips, so I really don't want to have to fold if I raise, as I'm losing too high of a % of my stack.
This now makes my decision either shove or fold.. and with a marginal pair, I could do either and it would need to be based on a read of the opp. If the opp is playing tight (not many hands), then I'll fold.
If the opp is playing loose (a large number of hands), then I'll shove.

If I see a flop that does not contain a 7, I need to check if checked to and I need to fold to any bet. I do not have the correct odds to call a bet on the flop without a set. I need to put 400 chips into a pot of 2100 (19%). I have 2 outs (the two 7's) and from the rule of 4 and 2, each out is worth 2% to the turn.. so my hand is only worth 4%. Since the pot equity is higher than my hand equity, I must fold.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com