Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

what about that call on the turn ?

Old
what about that call on the turn ? - Sat Feb 22, 2014, 06:20 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2014
[re

Last edited by ingenium92; Wed Feb 26, 2014 at 07:15 AM..

Old
Sat Feb 22, 2014, 11:27 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
*Moved to analysis forum* - Fadyen

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 22, 2014, 03:32 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi ingenium92!

The first thing that needs to be looked at in this hand is not the turn, it's preflop. Even when it folds to me, T2s is not a hand that I should be playing and I need to muck it preflop. It's fine to open a wider range than normal, but I need to be playing hands with equity in them and T2 is not one of them. T9, T8s are hands where I'd open, but lower tens are way too weak.

The flop totally misses me and with absolutely nothing, not even a draw, I need to check the flop and hope to see a card that pairs mine on the turn. If the opp bets, then I need to fold.

The turn hits my ten and if I wanted to make a play, I need to lead here.. BUT.. with an A already on the board, even if I have a ten, I'm not ahead. Any opp that calls a flop bet should have an A, so there's no way I'm going to be ahead on the turn. Due to this, I need to check and fold to any bet by the opp. I want to be betting when I'm ahead, not when I'm behind.

I hit two pair on the river, but it's not a high two pair. Any ace that hit two pair is higher, so with as many chips that are already in the middle, I need to check and go to showdown. as I do have showdown value, but could easily not have the best hand.

The key here though is to muck bad hands preflop. Just because I have an ace or suited cards does not make the hand playable.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com