Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Full House Vs 4 Of A Kind Unlucky Beat?

Old
Full House Vs 4 Of A Kind Unlucky Beat? - Sun Feb 23, 2014, 09:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2014
BronzeStar

Im Kinda new to poker and would like to know if i played my hand right or what i should have done or it was just an unlucky beat?

Old
Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi C.Duncan94!

With 55 from UTG at a full ring table, I'm going to fold this preflop. If it was a higher pair (say 88-99+), then I'd make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, to 90 chips. Hands that are not worth raising with, especially from early position are ones that I need to muck due to the positional disadvantage that I have in acting first postflop. I try not to open-limp, as this is a play that can easily be exploited by a better player with position on me, as if they raise, then my hand is not strong enough to call the raise, so I lose 30 chips. It also gives a tell to the opps that I have a marginal hand and if they have this knowledge, they can then use it against me postflop.

If I saw the flop (which I would not), when I see that I flop a set and it checks to me, I'm going to make a standard value bet. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 3 opps in the hand, I need to and will bet 3/4 pot or 90 chips.

The turn pairs the board and now with 2 opps in the hand, a standard bet is 2/3 pot, so I will bet 260. I want to keep all of my bets standard, as this helps to conceal the strength of my hand. Players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent... something that I want to avoid.

The opp now min-raises me (a standard raise for them would have been to 3X my bet.. but since this is over 1/3 of their chips, it means they are pot-committed and need to shove. With them pot-committed and with only two hands that I'm behind (88 and JJ), I'm going to re-raise and shove.

Unfortunately, the opp hits a J (they had 7 outs, so will beat me 14% of the time). Getting the chips in on the turn is the correct play and one I'm willing to do here every time.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:40 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
defo unlucky you got it in good and opponent hit runner runner

pre flop utg i would like to raise 3x to lessen the field and if someone 3bets I'm very much willing to call and see a flop to set mine

other than that you played it well

good luck in your games Duncan

Old
Tue Feb 25, 2014, 01:19 PM
(#4)
Since: Mar 2013
FOLD pre flop! If you know which hands in which position to play you will rarely get in situations like this one. Chance to flop a set on the flop is about 12%. And with a set of fives you easy can be beaten by higher one and other type of hands.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com