Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Bankroll Question.

Old
Bankroll Question. - Mon Feb 24, 2014, 10:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2014
BronzeStar
Hey guys, i'm fairly new to competitive online poker and i'm currently a student so my bankroll at most times isn't huge. I normally only deposit about £10 at any given time (around $16). I'm just wondering if you guys think my strategy is correct. I've always played STT $1.50 9 man tables in which top 3 get paid. Is this a good strategy for small bankroll management? Any opinions would be great.

Thanks in Advance, Tom.

Old
Mon Feb 24, 2014, 11:24 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Tom,

There is a section on Bankroll Management in the Poker Basics course, which you can find HERE.

Hope this helps.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 24, 2014, 11:41 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
So this article suggests that i should continue playing at these current stakes, as $1.50 is less than 10% of $1.60. However if my bankroll drops to say $10, i should consider at this point dropping to any stake below $1, is this what the lesson suggests?

Thanks.

Last edited by Parkyboy94; Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 11:46 AM..

Old
Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:06 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Parkyboy94!

For tournaments, the general rule (which I do use too) is that I need to have 100 buy-ins in my bankroll before playing a given level of tournament. Therefore, to play $1.50 tourneys, I need to have $150 in my bankroll.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 24, 2014, 01:01 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Hi John thanks for your reply! so my low sum of $16 means i should be entering $0.10 tournaments? :p i can't afford to deposit $100 etc as my current occupation doesn't allow so, so $16 is about as much as i can afford at any given time.

Old
Mon Feb 24, 2014, 04:30 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkyboy94 View Post
... so $16 is about as much as i can afford at any given time.
If you play 1.5 out of 16$ you are going out of money really really fast, trust me, i know

16$ seems the perfect sum to start the regular SNG 0.25c (start with the 90man ones imo) - they take long to complete, have a bigger payout than 45 man and plus you get 64 buy-ins, and, the biggest plus is that you get to play waaaaay more hands than in a turbo, hence a very good opportunity to learn.

To quote from a book 'The money you save equal the money you win' - so, if you manage not to bust your BR (the 16$) in the first month, you can add another 16$ next month and hence you increased you BR ;-)

Cheers,
Shoim

Last edited by shoim; Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 04:36 PM..

Old
Mon Feb 24, 2014, 04:45 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Hi Shoim thanks very much for your reply.

I have now realised just how easy it is to lose a $16 bankroll playing the $1.50 tournaments and have only really today thought about this. I will give the 90 man $0.25 SNG tables a trial run for a month and see how that goes instead.

Do you suggest i multi table these tournaments because of the length?

Also it would be a shame to lose the VPP i get from the $1.50 SNG but i guess this doesn't matter in the long run as much as keeping my bankroll does? xD

Old
Mon Feb 24, 2014, 04:58 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey Parky,

As you are just arriving at the poker tables VPP should not be your concern, for the moment.
Multi-tabling - if you find them boring, yes, but be disciplined about it. Start with 2, for the first 2 weeks , try 4 for 2 sessions after and analyze your results and comfort level with them, and re-asses from there.
One more thing, start looking for books !

Good luck,
Shoim

PS : Also a HUD .. since you can't invest in commercial products I suggest : http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...itle=Main_Page

Old
Mon Feb 24, 2014, 05:04 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Ok thank you, I'm very close to Chromestar for this month that was all.

Thank you for the advice on multi-tabling i shall begin with 2 and see how we go.

I have began reading Harrington's series on NLHE Tournament play and finding these books very helpful. Any more you know of please let me know.

Thank you greatly!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com