Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Can I call the river?

Old
Can I call the river? - Tue Feb 25, 2014, 10:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2012
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...662_125E2770A6

Little info/stats on villain... Wouldnt the villain Bet the turn if they had a Queen?

KJ,J8s+ are in villains range. AQ i would expect to see a 3 bet. Only 2 combos of AK remaining. one Combo of QJ. 66-TT?

Did i make the proper play and keep it safe and fold..... or can i call here?

Old
Tue Feb 25, 2014, 11:19 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
The way this was played… I would have called. Villain would have put you on small pair here or ace high (AK). By checking both the turn and river you look incredibly weak. I like the check OTT for pot control and when the board pairs, I really really like a second check. If we bet the river, we are kind of turning our hand into a bluff. The villain won't be calling with anything except for Jx, Qx and maybe Ax but when we check the river, we can expect the villain to bet all small pairs that are now counter fitted as well as AT, KT, T9 that floated our Cbet! CALL FOR SURE.

Another line you could have taken would be bet, bet , bet where you can fold to a raise. B,B,B here would put a ton of pressure on Jx if they didn't raise us OTT. Just my opinion.

Just noticed that we lose to BDF ATc, KTc, T9c but I think think that there's enough bluffs in his PF calling range that our hidden KK is beating. His river bet is also pretty big which makes me think that this is bluffy.

Thanks,

Last edited by dirt eh; Wed Feb 26, 2014 at 01:27 AM..

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 12:47 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2012
It looks like Qx not Jx, I would bet OTT to value bet Qx and bet OTR without Q, as played I think it's good fold OTR.

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 01:34 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
I would bet the turn for value from all Qx and a couple of draws. Checking against a player whose tendencies/ranges you don't know gets you into all kinds of tricky guessing game spots OOP and also misses out on potential value from worse when they potrcontrol too much with their weaker hands IP.

As played I think folding river seems fine given the size he uses.

Live Trainer

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com