Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Live - penalty not betting or checking back the nuts?

Old
Live - penalty not betting or checking back the nuts? - Wed Feb 26, 2014, 12:55 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hi, I was listening to a commentary on a live game where a penalty was give to a player who maybe:

"Got a penalty for not betting or checking back the nuts?"

Have I got this wrong or misunderstand what was said?

The reasoning is confusing, whatever the actual rule is, if playing the same hand on-line and no penalty is given?

I played an on-line hand and turn two pair. My opponent in the small blind backs into the nuts, runner runner nut flush, is oop checks to me and I bet and snap calls.

I guess this is ok, I'd give them a nit station penalty. But live is there a rule about betting the nuts?

Last edited by ForrestFive; Wed Feb 26, 2014 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: runner runner nut flush

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 02:00 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Forrest!

When playing live, if you are last to act and have the nuts, it IS a penalty to check, as this is soft-play.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 03:58 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
Thanks John,

In my example, because I was in position and last to act, I could check behind and not bet my 2 pair. Because the station just calls 2 streets, backs into the nuts and can't value lead as no worse hand calls.

So live, if I got there. Say I river a boat? The 3rd bet: flop, turn and river is mandatory?

Wow - Actually it's making more sense as I'm typing this reply.

Because I'm not last to act. If the sb made a nut straight flush > my boat. Then doesn't bet, this is a soft-play and gets a penalty.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Wed Feb 26, 2014 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: makes sense

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 04:05 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
You only have to bet on the river and only if you have the absolute nuts and are the last player to act. If you're out of position, you can do whatever you want.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 02:48 PM
(#5)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestFive View Post
Thanks John,

In my example, because I was in position and last to act, I could check behind and not bet my 2 pair. Because the station just calls 2 streets, backs into the nuts and can't value lead as no worse hand calls.

So live, if I got there. Say I river a boat? The 3rd bet: flop, turn and river is mandatory?

Wow - Actually it's making more sense as I'm typing this reply.

Because I'm not last to act. If the sb made a nut straight flush > my boat. Then doesn't bet, this is a soft-play and gets a penalty.
Hey Forrest,

Soft play in this instance is any time you are not betting when the reason is to give your friend/spouse/brother/whoever a break. The tricky part is you can't really prove it, unless they say that's what they're doing (in which case like 9 times out of 10 they have no idea it's not cool), or they have no legitimate poker reason to not bet. The only time they can have no legitimate poker reason to not bet, is with the nuts, last to act, on the river.

On the flop or turn, they could be slow playing.
On the river out of position, they could be going for a check-raise.

In those cases they are not betting where it could be with the intent of getting action later... where as on the river, last to act, there is no later, if they check there is no more betting.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com