Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Support Center /

Here's a thought

Old
Here's a thought - Wed Feb 26, 2014, 10:29 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
I did send it to Idea at PSO, but just wanted to see owe members that do play the Leagues think about the idea

Here's an idea that would make this school stand out to all other schools

Both the Open and Premiere Leagues are good, but not great. This is a school and in school you learn about different subjects. PSO would stand alone if they were to teach every aspect of poker.

Why don't you set up 6 different games in the Open League and 8 in the Premier League?

In the Open League have the following games and rotate them so that every day the games play at different hours.

- No Limit Hold'em
- PL Omaha
- PL Omaha H/L
- Horse
- Stud
- Stud H/L

In the Premier, same strategy, but 8 games over 2 days and rotate every 2 days

- No Limit Hold'em
- PL Omaha
- PL Omaha H/L
- Horse
- Stud
- Stud H/L
- Razz
- Badugi

- By doing this, you would be the only school that not only promotes, but teaches the different poker games. Players would be able to find what games they are good at, since we all know that one can not be good at all the games.
- This would also increase the traffic to the forum and more specifically, to the Live Training with more material being taught.
- This would also increase the number of participants to the series every month
- The only negative (but not really), it would weed out the players who are not interested or don't care about certain games and the Leagues

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 10:40 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
Now this would be great

Cheers

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 10:42 AM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2009
I don't really like the idea tbh.. I don't think you have thought it through properly, you said not everyone can be good at all types of poker so it would favour people who are better at more of the different variants. And not allow someone who was exceptional at one variant but not in others.. to shine

as for using the league in that way for players to discover what games they are good at.. well isn't that what the school itself is for.. and the league more of a platform to express and prove the worth of what they have learned?

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 10:44 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by stix144 View Post
I don't really like the idea tbh.. I don't think you have thought it through properly, you said not everyone can be good at all types of poker so it would favour people who are better at more of the different variants. And not allow someone who was exceptional at one variant but not in others.. to shine

as for using the league in that way for players to discover what games they are good at.. well isn't that what the school itself is for.. and the league more of a platform to express and prove the worth of what they have learned?
nice post man sweetone!!!

TTY

Old
Here's a thought - Wed Feb 26, 2014, 11:12 AM
(#5)
ChromeStar
Great idea, I have wondered the same thing myself as I love my holdem tournaments but for cash games I'm a stud player, I love it. Certainly would be at all trainings for that game and would sure peak my interest back in the pso. As it is now its long lost my interest and many peoples that used to compete and play.

I really think its about time someone said this Stixx , Ashley etc, if you have nothing positive to add to someones suggestion why stick your nose in, I have been noticing for a long time now, actually since you got those Walmart wanna be vests that many many of your posts are self centered or have a hint of my way or the highway aroma. Step back and get rid of the me attitude and use we instead.

Now you have something else to answer.

2012 Double Bracelet Winner

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by CHILLI 2 U; Wed Feb 26, 2014 at 11:24 AM..

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 11:30 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILLI 2 U View Post
Great idea, I have wondered the same thing myself as I love my holdem tournaments but for cash games I'm a stud player, I love it. Certainly would be at all trainings for that game and would sure peak my interest back in the pso. As it is now its long lost my interest and many peoples that used to compete and play.

I really think its about time someone said this Stixx , Ashley etc, if you have nothing positive to add to someones suggestion why stick your nose in, I have been noticing for a long time now, actually since you got those Walmart wanna be vests that many many of your posts are self centered or have a hint of my way or the highway aroma. Step back and get rid of the me attitude and use we instead.

Now you have something else to answer.
as you pointed out to me directly in a home game not so long back.. you always think sandtrap is right (your words) that's your choice I am entitled to mine too!

if I want to make a constructive comment I will, a constructive comment does not however need to be in agreement with something.. there are many things I have replied to which I do agree with and I have responded constructively to those too. perhaps you missed them but if you did that is not for me to lose any sleep over.
I might have missed the bit in the rules that says I have to agree with everything certain members say.. I will go and check now to see if I did.. Thanks

respect chilli.. glad you brought that up.. its something a lot of people around here could do with learning about before they send abusive pms or use disgraceful derogatory language in home games. You might know some of those people . be sure to point that picture out to them wont you

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 11:35 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2014
personally i just think you are really appealing to such a niche market that i am not sure it is worth it...

I am a omaha hi low player... and when i can i play all stakes of horse and cash too (though i would like a 55 dollar horse on stars for some value). i just think to get someone to teach one of these games.. provide videos.. live trainings etc.. its just too niche of a market and you are not appealing to many.

For one.. if a player wants to learn any of those variants.. you can't really teach tournements cause its near impossible to be profitable at those tourneys unless you get lucky with a big score.
sites dont offer enough tournements to provide legitimate value... and cash games for those variants.. are also littered with regulars that you are throwing a mouse into a snake pit essentially.

Also this isn't negativity as someone might think This is called analyzing and criticizing the post. sorry i am not going to sit here and go "Oh look thats a superb idea!!!" when i know its not.
its a public forum to provide opinions.. maybe next time we will watch someone post an idea that isn't that good and just leave it? or do you want criticism to help that person for next time maybe come up with a better idea?

seems an easy thought/idea to me maybe not to someone elseee......

edit i was doing the thumbsup to chili to point out how wrong he was in telling people to keep quiet,

also niche incase you were wondering chili just means a small market size thought i would explain that.

Last edited by MasterOfPoo8; Wed Feb 26, 2014 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: someone else posted

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 11:40 AM
(#8)
Since: Apr 2010
The only time I play the games mentioned above by sand is in the PSO home games. Great games in the learning and cant see why not in the open and prem. gl all HAPPY

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 12:15 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2012
I doubt the majority of people in the open know how to play NLHE never mind the other games.

Might be worth thinking about for the premier but I tend to agree with masterofpoo8 (Never thought that was a statement I would ever make, bless the internet) that most of those games are niche games in the current market.

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 12:23 PM
(#10)
I like the idea why not us the Open and Premier league as a way to introduce people to the new games, A bit like FTP game of the week.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 12:41 PM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
I doubt the majority of people in the open know how to play NLHE never mind the other games.

Might be worth thinking about for the premier but I tend to agree with masterofpoo8 (Never thought that was a statement I would ever make, bless the internet) that most of those games are niche games in the current market.

im mainly quoting this for the lulz

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 01:03 PM
(#12)
Since: Apr 2011
I personally don't think its a good idea, there are several games on that list that I have no desire to either play or learn how to play (I know I am not the only person who has the same view) If they were a mandatory part of the league schedule the only thing that would serve would be to give other players (who are experienced in the other games) an unfair advantage.

No Limit Holdem is a "standard" game played by, I would guess, at least 95% if not higher of poker players, where as the other games have a much lower % of players who make them their game of choice.

Mastering the intricacies of Hold 'em is a monumental task in itself, adding other games to the "must learn to play" list if you want to participate in the league kind of defeats the purpose.

Another option would be to set up separate leaderboard tourneys for the other games so that people can make their own choice as to what leaderboard they want to play in without it being forced on them, though I can't see that happening due to the amount of work that would be involved.

Just my humble and respectful opinion

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 01:14 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntyrae View Post
I personally don't think its a good idea, there are several games on that list that I have no desire to either play or learn how to play (I know I am not the only person who has the same view) If they were a mandatory part of the league schedule the only thing that would serve would be to give other players (who are experienced in the other games) an unfair advantage.

I feel this way about NLHE. I wish the PSO home games where not so heavy with NLHE but I do understand why it is.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 01:16 PM
(#14)
Since: Oct 2011
I'm not sure there's a gap in the market for this, because - for newcomers to non-Holdem games - daily astronomer freerolls already exist. I'm pretty sure that Roslyn (among others) has made more money from astronomer freerolls (and weekly Round 2 tourneys) than league games. In short, if you want to learn Razz or Stud or O8, look in the lobby. The games are already there!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 01:56 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
Lets stay on topic please.

Brian

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 02:10 PM
(#16)
(Super-Moderator)
To answer the question I be all for a mix of games in the line up.

What most players need to take in is NLHE is the main game but if you take some time to learn the other games and find one you like the money to be made is endless as so few have the real knowledge to be consistent money makers

I play mostly NLHE and PLO but I have a strong understanding of stud and tend to do very well when I play as I can see how far ahead of the rest of the table my game is to there's as most not have much skill past the basics of the game, where as in NLHE most that play for money have some kind of understanding past the basics do to it being so main stream.

As for the leagues changing to make this happen? Imo I would say no we will not see this but that is just my opinion.

Thanks for being part of PSO, and Best of Luck at the Tables

T2C

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 04:41 PM
(#17)
Since: Oct 2012
i like the idea for the simple fact i like all forms of poker!

however i dont want to see alot of people improving in these mixed games lol
with hold em having a lot of tuff players, i like to take a time out in the mixed games tourneys and pull out the fishing rod and catch some big fish

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 05:31 PM
(#18)
ChromeStar
Stix

First of all it is not my job to moderate anything around here, including IMs or anything else, we have someone to do that. Secondly I cant say Sandtrap is right about everything because he is human just like me and it isn't possible. Thirdly it would have been much more constructive to find a middle ground for the suggestion that was made, like maybe instead of no, I don't like it. Maybe we could branch off into the areas we prefer and have some training and videos etc. Of course holdem is the mainstay here in the PSO and I agree with Brian probably will not happen , but there is nothing wrong with making suggestions. Its not like there is an overabundance of people coming up with better mousetraps. And market size does play in what we get on line, Pokerstars first and foremost is a business and a few squeaky peoples like me don't matter , never have.

"you said not everyone can be good at all types of poker so it would favour people who are better at more of the different variants." And not allow someone who was exceptional at one variant but not in others.. to shine ,
isn't that true now??? Everyone on the planet is better at one thing than another so why not have choices??

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 05:50 PM
(#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILLI 2 U View Post
Stix

First of all it is not my job to moderate anything around here, including IMs or anything else, we have someone to do that. Secondly I cant say Sandtrap is right about everything because he is human just like me and it isn't possible. Thirdly it would have been much more constructive to find a middle ground for the suggestion that was made, like maybe instead of no, I don't like it. Maybe we could branch off into the areas we prefer and have some training and videos etc. Of course holdem is the mainstay here in the PSO and I agree with Brian probably will not happen , but there is nothing wrong with making suggestions. Its not like there is an overabundance of people coming up with better mousetraps. And market size does play in what we get on line, Pokerstars first and foremost is a business and a few squeaky peoples like me don't matter , never have.

"you said not everyone can be good at all types of poker so it would favour people who are better at more of the different variants." And not allow someone who was exceptional at one variant but not in others.. to shine ,
isn't that true now??? Everyone on the planet is better at one thing than another so why not have choices??
I wasn't suggesting you said that he was always right chilli I was quoting you. directly from what you said in one of last months home games.
I wasn't asking you to moderate anything.. just suggesting it might be more appropriate that you show that pretty picture you posted to some of your friends instead of us
The majority of the time I would and do provide positive suggestions as well when and if I disagree with something. however in this instance I didn't because I do not have a strong opinion on what should change about the leagues since I don't play them.. the comment I made was a generalization that it would become advantageous to people who were better at more of the different variants. if it were changed in that way. and simultaneously put someone who was very good at one type of poker but not in others at a serious disadvantage.
I totally agree however that people should indeed have choices.. which is exactly one of the reasons why I disagree with the notion of a rotating system.. which would only serve to provide variety!! and not choice

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 06:23 PM
(#20)
ChromeStar
First and foremost you do not know me and you certainly don't know my friends and to insinuate that the friends I do have need a "pretty picture" tells me something about you. Another PSO post that has lost its meaning.... be back next month maybe try again.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com