Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

My first attempt at a squeeze

Old
My first attempt at a squeeze - Wed Feb 26, 2014, 03:21 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
I would never have put the V on the hand he had. Should I have seen this coming?

My reads are
46/19 over 26 hands

Was this a good time to try this my thinking was that I didn’t want to go to the flop 3 handed with JJ

Thanks for the help

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 03:50 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2014
WhiteStar
Normally with Jacks in the SB, I would have three-bet to 6 BB plus how many BB has already been bet/called. So with the vulnerable position and a vulnerable hand, I would have bet 30 cents. That would have made it less a chance of anyone to call your large bet since you represent a big hand, which you do. For the flop, if it was 68 cents, I would have bet 2/3 of the pot or the pot if either of the players would have called. You have a very great flop for Jacks, and can easily avoid a confrontation with any Ace coming on the turn or river. This would prevent either of them into calling cheaply into making any hand.

It also looks like the player you are against is a Loose Passive player, considering he called with an Ace rag. For myself, I would have considered jamming the pot if he is very stubborn to calling, so you can get the money in with your profitable hands.

Last edited by CardsVeteran; Wed Feb 26, 2014 at 03:53 PM..

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 05:45 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Minimum PF sizing should be 0.24. Standard 3 bet is 3x the initial. We are squeezing for value here as well as initiative. I would make it 0.06 x 3 = 0.18 + cc 0.06 = 0.24 minimum. I would tend to even make it bigger because we will be OOP for the rest of the hand. I think you can make it as large as 0.30.

As played with your sizing preflop, I think your PostF bet sizing is a little strange. 1/2 pot, 1/2 pot, river jam may have been better to give a larger river shove but I think we need to raise larger preflop in order to setup for a TURN jam.

FYI this villain was never folding so it didn't matter how you played this PostF but lets not be results orientated.

Larger sizing preflop may have given you the pot pf. Let's also look at PostF bet sizing if we raised to 0.30 preflop.

OTF: Pot size would be 0.68 (our stack is 1.70) now we can bet 2/3 pot OTF which would be 0.45
OTT: Pot size would be 1.58 (our stack is 1.25) now we can shove the turn. Giving the villain 2.2 to 1 odds to draw which are not the correct odds for any drawing type of hand.

I know that this villain hit on the turn but this is still the way I would play this hand.

Just my opinion!

Thanks,
dirt eh

Last edited by dirt eh; Wed Feb 26, 2014 at 05:48 PM..

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 05:52 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsVeteran View Post
Normally with Jacks in the SB, I would have three-bet to 6 BB plus how many BB has already been bet/called. So with the vulnerable position and a vulnerable hand, I would have bet 30 cents. That would have made it less a chance of anyone to call your large bet since you represent a big hand, which you do. For the flop, if it was 68 cents, I would have bet 2/3 of the pot or the pot if either of the players would have called. You have a very great flop for Jacks, and can easily avoid a confrontation with any Ace coming on the turn or river. This would prevent either of them into calling cheaply into making any hand.

It also looks like the player you are against is a Loose Passive player, considering he called with an Ace rag. For myself, I would have considered jamming the pot if he is very stubborn to calling, so you can get the money in with your profitable hands.
Didn't read CardsVertern's post... but ya I agree with him as you can see from my above post. hahaha

Old
Wed Feb 26, 2014, 09:38 PM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2013
3b with JJ is situational, if say this was against an utg player who is fairly tight and we get called by say mp, I would flat because by squeezing they will fold their non premium hands and I expect they will only continue with AK/QQ+ and will often 4bet these and we will have to fold. Against a loose player who rarely folds to 3-bets this is a good squeeze for value, and as this is 2NL I believe we hold the best hand a vast majority of the time so this is a value squeeze.

Postflop played fine. I expect him to have pocket pairs here a lot, maybe 56, and a lot of flush draws. Guy is a donkey for calling preflop and continuing that flop with A5o. @dirt eh I think his sizing is fine, we set ourselves up for a nice river shove, we don't have to bet large because the pot is already 3bet and we scare away hands we beat like smaller pocket pairs, and like this guy, ace rag.

Old
Thu Feb 27, 2014, 06:20 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
Postflop is fine. Given the villain did not 3bet themselves preflop I'm assuming my PP is best. However, I don't like the 3bet sizing preflop. It's just too small to accomplish anything. I would make it 0.26 (3x +1bb for being OOP + the 0.06 of the over caller)

Old
Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:32 PM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2013
Thanks for all the input. yes the 3b was to small, that was a mistake in the moment I would normally go with 3x the raise +1 for the caller = 24c at a min. The main thing I’m getting her is that people would get it all in too whether its on the tern or the river.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com