Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL Zoom, 44 from MP, raise a limper but called from blinds

Old
10NL Zoom, 44 from MP, raise a limper but called from blinds - Thu Feb 27, 2014, 04:35 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Title kind of explains most of it.

I raise it up with 44 from MP against an UTG limp, get called from the SB, and UTG limper folds. Solid play from a shortstack.

The flop is pretty ugly for my hand, so I elect not to cbet hen he checks to me, I think this flop hits him more than it does me. So I am comfortable with that line.

Same reasons on the turn as on the flop, if I was behind then, I am still behind now, and he could have some pair + draw type hands on the flop which this improved, thinking hands like T9 suited or unsuited. This checks through again.

River is a 4, giving me a FH, and putting me ahead of all two pair, trips, flopped straights that slowplayed.

I am way behind J9/Q9, I find JJ/QQ fairly hard to believe, I think they would (Or should) have bet at some point before river.

Villain leads out for what is essentially a pot sized bet, although it is an overbet, but I felt it was unlikely I was behind given the overall play of the hand. I chose to raise it up.

Is the raise too thin? I think he can call with worse here. Slowplayed straights, two pair, trip 9's.

When he raises/shoves river, is this a snap call, or a sigh fold if we give him credit for a better FH?

I'm perfectly comfortable with how I played flop and turn.

Old
Thu Feb 27, 2014, 05:21 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
Hand is well played.

No way is the river raise too thin. We are so underrepped and if he comes over the top I think we should still call. He'd bet any value combos that beat us OTT.

Old
Thu Feb 27, 2014, 06:32 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
I'm not sure about the river raise actually. The thing is what hands can call us that we beat that did not bet the turn? So their river bet is either going to be a bluff or a hand like JJ, 99. I don't know if KT would call in the SB to an iso raise. I doubt TT would call a raise too so when we raise we will fold bluffs and hands we beat and get re-raised by the rare JJ & 99. I'm going to go for a river call.
Maybe click it back to get called by a AQ? and fold to a shove?

I'm gonna keep this one open till we hear more input.

Old
Thu Feb 27, 2014, 06:54 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2012
Villains at lower limits make mistakes of calling too wide.

To exploit this we raise/value bet thinner.

Old
Thu Feb 27, 2014, 10:30 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi all,

I like the raise almost as much as I like the hand #.

We have no reads I guess but I still like it.

If the villain is a weaker or rec player, like birdayy said, they pay off too much.

If the villain is of the better genre, then they are probably trying to range us, and I think that bodes well for our case of raising. Our raise will look like BS. We are repping a very strong hand but all of those should have bet the flop or turn on a wet board, except for our actual holding. So we either have 44 or are just trying to take the pot away. I think this gets us not only more calls from anything that can beat a bluff, but it also opens the door for the villain's bluffs to 3b shove as a re-bluff, if they have this tool in their tool belt.

Sometimes we are going to get shown JJ or 99 for sure, but imho it's not too thin.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 27, 2014, 01:33 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2012
Glad you enjoyed the # Dave.

As for the hand, I have posted the full hand below, fair to say that the villain has had a note taken on him.

I've been trying to work on my river value as I have checked back, check/called, far too often I think when I could have got more value from second best hands. I intended to call a shove if he had made one.

EDIT: Just noticed, it doesnt show his hand, he had QcJh.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com