Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

fifty50-tricky spot

Old
fifty50-tricky spot - Thu Feb 27, 2014, 02:14 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2012
Fifty50
8 left
Blinds 40/80/5

UTG 1550
MP 1400
MP2 1900
MP3 1100
CO 1350 (HERO)
BUT 2600
SB 2500
BB 3600

Pot 160

MP3 open limps for 80.(Vpip 48/Pfr 5/Fcb 40)
I am in the CO with KJs and ~17BB. I know I am ahead of limper's range, but how do I play this? I think I am too short to raise/fold and too deep to shove(if the players left to act had -12BB, that would be an easy shove)

Old
Sat Mar 01, 2014, 10:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Espada_Nu.4!

This is an awkward stack size. A standard raise here would be to 320, which is about a quarter of my stack. With the opp limping a ton of hands, I should be ahead of their range (56% equity). I now go to an ICM calculator to see if shoving is an option. When I enter the situation in, I get a shove range of JJ+, so it's not going to be a shove. Since shoving is a -EV play (-2.45%) and I don't want to raise and have to fold later in the hand as I'd leak off a quarter of my stack... my best option is... to fold.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com