Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL tough spot on the turn

Old
25NL tough spot on the turn - Sat Mar 01, 2014, 06:40 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
villain: 17/7/0 agg: 1.0
50'ish hands

I'm really trying to open my postflop playgame. I was wondering with what hands he would donk the turn here. And I couldn't find a big enough range that would make it profitable to call.

I'm kinda puzzled whether it is a good fold. I doubt a Jx is often in his range concidering his aggression factor. (Its small sample but still).

I figured his range could be AcJc, KcJc, 9x (98+), fullhouses. Also if he bets a flushdraw, he might bluff a miss OTR, which would make me fold and he's also bet a better flush.

In other words I can't raise the river if I hit and even if I hit i'll often still be beat.

Is this nitty fold smart? as theoretically I only need 28% to get the winning hand.

Old
Sat Mar 01, 2014, 01:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Sentras,

Generally I don't think villain has a 9+ here... many times villains would check/raise 22 or A9 (especially 22 since they chose to slow play the flop on a wet board, it wasn't to donk out the turn when they fill up). Although he is passive in his stats, the sample is too small for me to feel like we can fully trust this read yet.

What I typically see in spots like this is a pair, they think might be good, and want to protect/see where they're at. AJ-JT fit the bill, so do hands like 88 that don't want to give a free card to AK/AQ.

I think we can profitably call the turn in this spot. When we improve with a club or ten we can expect to be good and can value bet if he checks to us (probably just call if he bets big again). When we hit a Q and he checks, same thing. And we can reasonably bluff the river sometimes when we miss and he checks to us. If he checks an A or K river for instance, he is probably not calling a $5 bet.

Raising the turn is also an option, but I don't prefer it over floating because it forces us to ramp up our variance and also sets us up to get taken off a decent draw if the read is wrong and he does have 9x, and decides to 3b our raise.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com