Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

2.5 90's ATo UTG

Old
2.5 90's ATo UTG - Sat Mar 01, 2014, 08:14 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
CO: 24.65 BB (VPIP: 18.63, PFR: 6.12, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 46)

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=ECC5C10364

Old
Sat Mar 01, 2014, 08:58 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2014
I would most likely play the hand the same way. Im not a fan of limping preflop so the only difference here is perhaps only a 2.5 BB raise.

I've never used pokertracker or whatever that software is so i'm not too sure on the stats, it looks like he is a tight player?

Another line is to check the flop for information, if he checks im confident we are ahead on the turn or could get a smaller pocket pair to fold to a 1/2 pot sized bet, if called check fold the river. If he bets <350 I call with the gutshot and check fold the turn if I don't hit, check raise if I do or ship the river if it is checked behind. Even if I hit an A, I would strongly consider folding facing another bet.

Interesting hand, I can see potential for many different situations being played out.

The obvious answer is push all in to the raise on the flop and hit the gutshot, beat my top set, at least that it how it seems to play out against me lately

Old
Sat Mar 01, 2014, 12:19 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi sapines1001!

With ATo, if this were a full table, then I'd more than likely open-muck this here. BUT, with two open seats behind me, I'm more than happy to make a standard opening raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper (300).

The flop misses me (I do have an overcard and a gutshot draw) and since I did raise preflop, I have no problem making a c-bet here, especially with what seems to be a passive opp. The key here is the sizing and 450 is too big of a bet. I want to make a standard bet (like I would with a pair, 2 pair, set or anything else that I'm playing) and with one opp in the pot, a standard bet sizing is 1/2 pot. Due to this, I need to bet 375. No more, no less, as I need to keep all of my bets and raises standard.

The passive opp now min-raises. This is a huge red flag. Passive opps don't bet or raise unless they have a monster, so since I have only ace high, it's an easy muck to this raise.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. @ crazyesdumno... I wouldn't check the flop here after raising and here's why. If I check and the opp bets (which I'd do almost 100% of the time if I were the opp), then the player with AT has absolutely no clue whether they are ahead (should raise) or behind (should fold). I also could not call their bet, as I would not have the correct odds to continue in the hand. Shoving in hopes of hitting a gutshot draw is TOTALLY out of the question, as it's a huge -EV play (one where I will lose a ton of chips on average).

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 01, 2014, 03:03 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2013
what if it was a final table?can i raise?can i shove all in with AT with 16bb in UTG?

Old
Sat Mar 01, 2014, 03:13 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapines1001 View Post
what if it was a final table?can i raise?can i shove all in with AT with 16bb in UTG?
You've got 35BB, which is way too many to open shove.

Even at 16BB, from UTG, my chart does not include ATo. It's too weak. From UTG in a big MTT, my chart goes to 27BB and ATo is not in that range from UTG either. To get to where it is on my chart for UTG, I need to go down to 11BB or under.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com