Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL Zoom - 1010 - How to get max value?

Old
2NL Zoom - 1010 - How to get max value? - Mon Mar 03, 2014, 01:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $4.34 (217 bb)
SB: $7.95 (397.5 bb)
BB: $2 (100 bb)
UTG: $1.41 (70.5 bb)
Hero (MP): $1.99 (99.5 bb)
CO: $2.46 (123 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T T
UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.06, 2 folds, SB calls $0.05, BB folds

Flop: ($0.14) 4 5 J (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.06, SB raises to $0.18, Hero calls $0.12

Turn: ($0.50) T (2 players)
SB bets $0.24, Hero raises to $0.60, SB calls $0.36

River: ($1.70) 5 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $1.15, SB folds

Results:
Click to show hidden text

To set this up, I have no info on the villain but when he raises my c-bet I assume he is drawing to a flush or straight and I call prepared to fold anything that completes the flush or straight.

On the turn I hit a set and when the villain calls I put in a small raises only JJ is beating me and I assume that he is still drawing and wants to keep up his aggression so I try and raise an amount that he can call and still get good odds to draw.

Once the river pairs the board I am feeling very good but no idea how to proceed when he checks to me. Looking back at the hand I feel that I should have be small like 0.50 and let him try and bluff me but since I had him on a draw that never got there I don't know how that would have worked.

So here are my questions for this hand:
  • Is there a better line to get max value out of this hand?
  • Is my logic in thinking about this hand sound?
  • Even though the raise on the turn got called this time, is it a good idea to raise in that spot?
  • Any other feedback?

Old
Mon Mar 03, 2014, 01:54 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I think your play is fine. You could make the raise larger OTT (0.75) Then we have exactly 1/2 pot bet left.

Having said that I like slamming this turn. Of course we lose to JJ but when he calls with everything else (smaller sets, 2 pair, flush and straight draws, TPTK) this hand becomes MAX MAX MAX VALUE! I find at micros stakes we just want to get it in, especially OTT. The villains make terrible calls all the time at these stakes because they have to see the river card. Seeing the river is a drug for these players, so punish them and shove OTT.

Optimal line that I would take in this hand would be as follows.
OTF (0.14): I would bet larger, 0.10. When you bet 0.10 lets say villain makes it 0.30. (NOTE: I'm not happy when the villain XRs here)
OTT (0.74): SB bets 0.37 and now you shove your stack.

Old
Mon Mar 03, 2014, 02:33 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Duct,

On the flop I think assuming he's on a draw is a mistake, be careful not to just put opponents hands you can beat. I would include draws in his range for sure, but also 44/55/JJ might play this way, hands like AJ-JT might as well.

I like the turn raise, and would size a bit bigger as well, .75c, as I think he's calling all that again mostly. At least anything that will call .60 will call .75 and all of it save for JJ is in big trouble.

I don't agree with a small bet on the river readless, I think moving all in for 1.15 is the best play. I don't think busted draws are putting any more money in the pot... they can't perceive you to be folding for .65 more after taking the line you did and betting .50 on the river, in what is a huge pot now. And Jx will just call. The only good reason to bet smaller imo is to target Jx in the hands of a tighter player, who will pay off the small bet with a high frequency, but fold to the all in with a high frequency. Since most players mistakes revolve around calling too often in these spots, I think we do better just betting the rest of the farm.

As a side note, if you had a read villain was super aggro and hoped to induce a bluff, you have to make a bet that says "I can still fold to a shove"... given the size of the pot and stack depth, that's going to be something silly small like .10c. I don't think it's a good spot here though because he already had a chance to bluff the river, and he passed on the opportunity.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com