Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Scheduled or MTT SNG

Old
Scheduled or MTT SNG - Wed Mar 05, 2014, 08:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
Hi there,

I am a cash game player looking to play small stakes tournaments. I was wondering what is better to play between the Scheduled tournaments on pokerstars or the MTT SNG's? If SNG's, what size? 45, 90 or 180? I will multi table if that makes a difference.

I had a bankroll of 800$ from 5c-10c cash games but I had to make a withdrawal so now I only have 150$ in my Bankroll. I was planning on starting with tourney's around 1.50$ and work my way up.

Thank you!

Old
Thu Mar 06, 2014, 08:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
It depends what you're wanting to achieve.

If you're trying to build up your bankroll, the tournaments with smaller entry sizes are probably best, i.e. 45/90 man SNGs as the variance in these is lower than in the larger SNGs or large-field MTTs.

If you've never played tournaments before, you might want to try your hand at tiny stakes or even Play Money single-table SNGs, just so you can practice all facets of your game, particularly short-handed and short-stack play. These skills will help you turn you final tables into wins rather than finishing in 4th or 5th place when you play the larger field MTTs.

Old
Sun Mar 23, 2014, 08:54 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2014
As above, I would reccommend free or low-level buyin MTTs. Personally I prefer the scheduled big-field MTTs. You can buy into these from like $0.11 and give a good practice of playing a solid patient game against 1000s of players

Old
Thu Mar 27, 2014, 07:42 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
You have to choices really ... Do you want to outlast your opponents in a massive field for the chance to score massive cashes or are you just wanting to grind out a +EV profit by grinding multi table games

I love MTTs but the time spent and limited schedule can leave you spending a lot of time doing very little for little wins with the occasional big win spike

STTs are more consistent and coming from a cash game grind environment the SNGs would be your best bet I think and then move to MTTs mixed in with SNGs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
Thu May 22, 2014, 04:31 AM
(#5)
Since: May 2013
SilverStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy1987 View Post
As above, I would reccommend free or low-level buyin MTTs. Personally I prefer the scheduled big-field MTTs. You can buy into these from like $0.11 and give a good practice of playing a solid patient game against 1000s of players
You sir, make a solid point.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com