Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Try to Reach Cash or Play to win as a beginner

Old
Try to Reach Cash or Play to win as a beginner - Fri Mar 07, 2014, 06:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2014
BronzeStar
I have been watching many video's and reading articles about Going for the win over just Trying to Reach the Cash.

I am stuck in limbo as I want to try and build a Bankroll so in your opinion is it better to play a bit safer while im learning and build a bankroll.

When I try and play to Get more chips to win or place higher I tend to get out done on the river.

At an early stage of learning is it better to try and play for any profit.

Old
Fri Mar 07, 2014, 07:06 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2013
For you just starting out it is better to play on the safer side, playing premium hands and not getting into flip situations which may cause problems. But also you don't want to sit there and get blinded out so pick your spots carefully. As you play more and learn more you can adapt your play to play more speculative hands. Learn to read others at the tables taking notes is the key to success if you can read people who are calling weak from the button when your in the blinds or others that fold to aggression you can begin exploiting it, it's all about profiting from others mistakes. Important thing to remember is lost chips are more valuable then gained chips. Once you start getting ITM regularly you can work on your later stage game.

Last edited by archi-grove; Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 07:09 AM..

Old
Fri Mar 07, 2014, 07:10 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
The normal advice is to play for the win. In most tournaments the vast majority of the prizemoney is in the top few places. By concentrating on making a min cash you are making it much less likely that you will reach the big prizes. This means that your average return from tournaments where you do this is much reduced, even though you may cash more frequently. So in general it pays much better to play "for the win", and not just play "for a cash". Every time you allow the approaching bubble to scare you into letting your stack get blinded down, to the point where you are just hanging on desperately to your last few chips to make it into the money, you are costing yourself money in the long term.

Having said that, in cases where a small cash in a tournament would make a big difference to your bankroll, it might be quite reasonable to conclude that an increased chance to win that small amount is worth more to you that the slimmer chance of a big payoff. Also, if your confidence is shaky, it can be a nice psychological boost to come away from a tourney with an increased bankroll - mission accomplished.

Because of these factors, I think it can sometimes be right to concentrate on just maximising your chances of cashing. But you should always remember that doing so is reducing your average expected winnings from the tournament, and that this is not a tactic that will make you profit in the long run. It is important also not to get stuck in the mindset of "cash at all costs" as a default. The more you do this the harder it can be to switch up to the more aggressive approach that you should be thinking of as your standard practice.

Old
Thanks - Fri Mar 07, 2014, 09:20 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2014
BronzeStar
Hi Guys Thanks for the advice,

I tends to happen to me is I am well over the Average Stack when there is last few hundred places for cash but everytime I attack Weaker stacks I get screwed by the river or flop, I have had AA cracked with 2-4 off suit flopped a straight

I am putting this down to **deleted inappropriate language JWK24**

I am really enjoying my Time Learning this game

I know I need to improve on my Patience a lot and Calculating the odds

Last edited by JWK24; Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 11:32 AM..

Old
Fri Mar 07, 2014, 09:50 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
Play for the win!

Playing for the mincash is a false economy - you might make the mincash slightly more often, but if you only make small cashes, you're never going to be a long term winner because you will finish out of the money way too often.

Of course if you've got very few chips close to the bubble, then sacrificing your chances of winning by surviving to the mincash might well be the best play.

If you want to build up your bankroll gradually, MTTs are not a good choice. You will often be losing money in MTTs but will occasionally have a big score that will hopefully make up for all the times you lose.

If you like the tourney format, try single-table Sit and Go's. Obviously you can't win as much in one go but you can steadily build up your bankroll in this format if you have a skill edge as you should finish ITM over 1/3 of the time.

Old
Fri Mar 07, 2014, 11:35 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
Play for the win!

Playing for the mincash is a false economy - you might make the mincash slightly more often, but if you only make small cashes, you're never going to be a long term winner because you will finish out of the money way too often.

Of course if you've got very few chips close to the bubble, then sacrificing your chances of winning by surviving to the mincash might well be the best play.
+1000000

Andy's 100% correct here. Players that go for min cashes will never be winning players longterm.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com