Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL2 6max, J6s, steal&squeeze attempt goes wrong ?

Old
NL2 6max, J6s, steal&squeeze attempt goes wrong ? - Sun Mar 09, 2014, 02:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2014
Villain was a loose passive player, 64/0 stats with (1/1) fold to squeeze and Fold to cbet with (2/2) in a sample of (11).

first tired to steal and squeeze, then tried to push the passive player with a cbet, what would've been the correct play, should i just folded pre-flop ?

Last edited by Luniaril; Sun Mar 09, 2014 at 02:18 PM..

Old
Sun Mar 09, 2014, 02:43 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
11 hands is not anywhere close to enough hands to get a reliable read.

Old
Sun Mar 09, 2014, 03:19 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2012
Just to clear up on some of the terminology.

You wouldn't be squeezing here, a squeeze is a 3bet over the head of a bet and a call in front, the intention being to make it unprofitable for the original raiser to continue with anything but the upper part of their range (Which they will have relatively few times when raising from late position) and the caller should already have a weaker range (They just called after all).

In this hand, I would probably just fold pre-flop, the guy has a small stack and is loose passive, he is going to call most likely and will be hard to shake from a hand if he hits anything. J6s isnt a great hand to take this action with.

Old
Mon Mar 10, 2014, 07:45 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Luniaril!

I agree with the others here. 11 hands doesn't tell us much. It is probably safe to assume he is loose-passive preflop, but not much more. Be careful about misinterpreting/overvaluing stats. Especially something like 3b stats can be very misleading when looking at a small sample. Taking advantage of reads is an important part of the game though. So, keep at it.

Here I would fold preflop. Even against a loose-passive, his utg limping range is going to be better than your hand. He is going to have positon on you. And the big blind is yet to act. Moreover, pure bluffs like this tend to have a low success rate at 2NL exactly because people tend to call too much. You normally need a made hand to win the pot.

As played, following through with the flop c-bet looks fine considering your plan with this villain. The paired board doesn't hit many hands. So, had he been a fit-or-fold player, your cbet will often win the pot. You followed through on your read. So, your play is fine. Your read was mistaken though.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Mon Mar 10, 2014, 07:56 AM
(#5)
Thanks for the replies i understood it better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
Just to clear up on some of the terminology.

You wouldn't be squeezing here, a squeeze is a 3bet over the head of a bet and a call in front, the intention being to make it unprofitable for the original raiser to continue with anything but the upper part of their range (Which they will have relatively few times when raising from late position) and the caller should already have a weaker range (They just called after all).

In this hand, I would probably just fold pre-flop, the guy has a small stack and is loose passive, he is going to call most likely and will be hard to shake from a hand if he hits anything. J6s isnt a great hand to take this action with.
thanks for clarifying, i thought the action of raising open limpers is called squeeze too.

Old
Mon Mar 10, 2014, 08:59 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
What is the typical Loose-Passive player's favourite mistake?

They call too much.

How to adjust?

Don't bluff them at all and take them to value-town when you've got a made hand!

Old
Mon Mar 10, 2014, 09:36 AM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2013
I believe what you did in this hand is called "isolating" - for terminology sake.

Cheers,

Matt

Old
Mon Mar 10, 2014, 01:42 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
I'd fold pre. Generally speaking, I want two cards 8 or higher to isolate a limper, especially if I'll be OOP post-flop. So J8s would be OK to raise, but J6s is slightly too weak.
As played, you got a bad flop, as you don't even have any backdoor draws. I'd just give up as an iso/steal gone wrong, and hope the passive player lets me bink a pair for free. He's certainly not folding a pair, ace high or flush draw on this flop, so just check it down and fold if he bets.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 10, 2014, 01:49 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
I'd fold pre. Generally speaking, I want two cards 8 or higher to isolate a limper, especially if I'll be OOP post-flop. So J8s would be OK to raise, but J6s is slightly too weak.
As played, you got a bad flop, as you don't even have any backdoor draws. I'd just give up as an iso/steal gone wrong, and hope the passive player lets me bink a pair for free. He's certainly not folding a pair, ace high or flush draw on this flop, so just check it down and fold if he bets.
i see your point arty thanks, i dont regret the isolation attempt but should've check folded after that flop

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com