Villain is basically unknown...

SB(17):20/20/6.0

River decision... Call or fold?

Old
Red face
Tue Mar 11, 2014, 06:19 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
new to this analysis forum, but am willing to give it a shot for you . is the 6.0 agg factor or 3bet? i guess that it is such a small sample that not many conclusions can be drawn from this anyway.
Kind of a tough spot for you, villain 3bet you pretty huge even though he was OOP. calling instead of 4betting i think is fine (would much rather a 4bet if HERO was OOP) your flop call is fine then OTT this should really be a card that will sometimes slow ppl down but not VILLAIN so by now he may have a big A maybe a turned FD, could have AA but we do hold blockers, so the call is fine. River is where things get interesting, he is repping a really strong range, 44,88 i do not think he would 3bet OOP with, TT+,ATs+,KQs,AQo+ I think is a decent range for 3betting an UTG open OOP he is giving you about 2.5-1 on your call and against this PREFLOP range it is a call i think going by the math.

Board: 8:heart:8:spade:4:club: A:club: Q:club:
       Equity     Win     Tie
HERO    64.86%  56.76%   8.11% { AdKh }
VILLAIN     35.14%  27.03%   8.11% { TT+, ATs+, KQs, AQo+ }

however by the river his actions have narrowed his range maybe to near nuts or thinner value than he should have been betting and the fold is a disciplined one as he is now repping a range of something like: QQ+,AJs+,KQs,AQo+ which has an equity outcome of-

Board: 8:heart:8:spade:4:club: A:club: Q:club:
       Equity     Win     Tie
HERO    43.48%  30.43%  13.04% { AdKh }
VILLAIN     56.52%  43.48%  13.04% { QQ+, AJs+, KQs, AQo+ }

Hope this was ok for a first timer all the best Euan

Last edited by euan12345; Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 07:01 AM..

Old
Tue Mar 11, 2014, 11:01 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
euan, thanks! yes the 6.0 is his PostF aggression. Samples size is smalllllll. I think AQo would 3bet OOP. The only hands I was worried about were AQ, AA, QQ.

I've actually ran into regulars that will 3bet ATs out of the blinds and call a 4bet OOP with the same junk. As seen here. I think a lot of players are confused in regards to the whole 3betting idea these days.

Player(1k hands): 16/13/2.0
TOT 3bet: 4.8
HM2: autorate ABC

Old
Tue Mar 11, 2014, 01:12 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
Yuk!

I'm sometimes folding AKo when I open raise from UTG and get 3bet from a tight opponent; given the opponent is unknown maybe a call is okay. 4betting and stacking off I think might be too ambitious. I'm not super happy with the float without any backdoor equity. Turn is a mandatory call. River sucks!

we need to be good 28.6% of the time to make the call. Which probably means we need them to bet with 1 combo of worse Ax and bluff with 1 combo of say JJ or KK. I might call a non club Q sometimes but I'm more inclined to fold on this specific river card. The board is paired and a backdoor flush just hit and they keep betting. I think folding is less of a mistake than calling here as its less likely we see them bluffing and giving up on a split against such aggressive action is probably okay as opposed to hero calling.

Old
Tue Mar 11, 2014, 01:20 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
Thanks George, yes Yuk indeed. OTF, float was just for the sake that I most likely have the best hand here unless the villain has a pair. I'm easily folding to a second barrel OTT if no A no K comes.

I tanked a long time OTR. Villain snap shoved the river. Which I thought was weird and made me think that they had a hand like AQ. I really tried to fold but I've seen so many villains show up with Ax combos that they're 3betting out of the blinds. AJ, AT, AXs...

I called.... villain had AA. hahaha

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com