Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Poker School Online tournament hand

Old
Poker School Online tournament hand - Tue Mar 11, 2014, 02:29 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2014
Hello,
I got eliminated in a very frustrating way today, from my point of view i would say i played the hand correctly with a very odd turn and river showing up and destroying my hand up to that point just kept it tight and aggressive folding a lot of trash hands.....i would say i bet/raised correctly but would like an expert opinion on this, cause it feels like just a run of bad luck...and for the sake of it all, this happens to me quite frequently...should i quit? ...of course not, i'm here to learn, so here's the hand ....

&%%$#%#$% !!!!

Old
Tue Mar 11, 2014, 11:13 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi pkrasta!

In league games, they're all about survival. The longer that I last, the more points that I get for the end of the month leaderboard. Due to this, I do not ever want to be taking chances.

With AKs and a limper in front of me, I'm going to make a standard raise for this blind level, which is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper. Due to this, I will bet 1050.

I flop top pair, but there are both straight and a flush draw possible. When it checks to me, I'm going to make a standard value bet. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 2 opps in the hand, a standard size is 2/3 pot, so I will bet 2680 (would be less if I made a standard raise preflop instead of the larger one).

I do not want to be all-in, in a league game unless I am sure that I will have the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board. With multiple draws possible here, I absolutely do not want to shove the flop.

If I saw the turn card that completes an OESD and puts a second flush draw out there, if the opp checks the turn, I'm most likely going to check behind and see a free river. If they make a sizeable bet, I only have one pair and will need to fold.

Survival in these is the key, especially the later that I get into the month, as the penalties for earlier exits will get worse and worse.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com