Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

1.1$ - 6-max Turbo - I find this hand interesting

Old
Question
1.1$ - 6-max Turbo - I find this hand interesting - Tue Mar 11, 2014, 08:21 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey guys,

So I had this hand which I find particularly interesting :
[23/26]
##########################################
PokerStars Game 113100169783 / Tournament
Table 877043114 148 -
Blinds : 25/50
##########################################

6 players
[SB] Villain 1 (3230)
[BB] shoim (2800)
[1] Villain 2 (2570)
[2] Villain 3 (2738)
[3] Villain 4 (3485)
[But] Villain 5 (4925)

shoim 5 Q Initial Pot: 75

Villain 2 folds
Villain 3 calls 50
Villain 4 folds
Villain 5 calls 50
Villain 1 folds
shoim checks
### FLOP ### Q 9 A Pot: 175
shoim bets 115
Villain 3 calls 115
Villain 5 calls 115
### TURN ### A Pot: 520
shoim checks
Villain 3 bets 150
Villain 5 raises to 550

Now, your action would've been ?
Villain 5 in particular didn't strike me to be Phil Ivey or any of the kind, rather maniac but only after 13 hands, in which he almost busted with T2s calling a hefty raise in BB. Not much info on Villain 3.

So ? What have you done here, specially presented with the turn odds ?

Thanks and Regards,
Shoim.

Old
Tue Mar 11, 2014, 11:04 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi shoim!

Preflop, I'm absolutely going to check and see a free flop, as my Q5s is nowhere near strong enough to do anything else with.

I flop second pair, but having limped preflop, I'm going to check the flop. The reason why is that if I had an A, 99 or QQ, I should be raising preflop, so a bet here cannot represent an A nor a set and due to this, I need to check. What I'm hoping for is that both opps check behind. If so, then I'll make a standard value bet on the turn.

The problem with a flop like this is that many opps (no reads provided) like to play any A. If either of these opps fits into this category, I'm not ahead, so I don't want to bet.

The turn check here also doesn't make sense. If I lead the flop, I'm saying that I have an A, but now on the turn when a second A hits.. I'm checking and saying that I don't have one. While I may call the bet of 150, I'm not calling a large raise and need to muck.

When playing, I need to take consistent lines that make sense when playing a hand. If not, then this will be easily picked up on by observant opponents and exploited.

If I check pre, then I need to check the flop (will call a small bet) and then to lead the turn. Any other line does not make sense, as it's not consistent.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 11, 2014, 06:19 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey J,

Thanks so much for the reply !
Ok, about consistency, you are right, and I am familiar with the concept, check>raising or c-betting and all ... BUT ! I am faced with 2 villains, I am OOP, and I am aggressive++ I have an image to maintain at a micro buy-in 6-max in the early stage and I am faced by 2 floaters both of which are loose (2 less than 5< which was the crazy dude to defend BB second hand in the tourney with that awsome T2s)
I ran some simulations after the hand and my figures showed me a 3-1 underdog under various Ax like scenarios or 99s, Q9+ etc.

Point is - i folded that turn (the hand is not complete), but I am not still happy with it

Thank you for the reply,
Kind regards,
Shoim.

Old
Wed Mar 12, 2014, 02:05 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Leading into multiple opps when the board can easily hit them and I'm most likely behind is a huge leak (gusher would be more like it). Against one opp (if they're known not to stay with any A), I would do, but not into two opps and certainly not into 2 unknowns.

If the opps are playing a 20% range (baseline for no info for me).. I'm a 3-1 dog. I do not want to be betting into multiple opps when I'm this far behind, it's just throwing my chips in the air and telling the opps.. "please take them, I don't want them!"

In a tourney, I'd rather have a stack in front of me, instead of trying to build and keep a table image by throwing chips away.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com