Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Just can't win

Old
Just can't win - Tue Mar 11, 2014, 09:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2014
BronzeStar

Pretty close to just giving up on pokerstars right now. Time after time this happens. These were in consecutive tournaments today.

What do you guys do when you run into days like this? makes me just want to throw my laptop out the window and never touch poker again!

Old
Tue Mar 11, 2014, 10:33 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
These streaks can last for weeks or months. I've had them last for multiple months in a row. Players need to have patience and learn to deal with them... I cannot let a beat affect any of my decisions after it.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 11, 2014, 11:44 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Sometimes the best way to break such a bad streak is to get into a freeroll or a play money game and go bonkers. Do all the dumb things you see others do. When you loose, and you will, have a good laugh.

Another idea is to play a different variant of the game. Spend a day playing a game you don't usually play. This is best done in the play chips where the inevitable bad moves will not hurt as much.

Final solution is to take a day or week away from the game. Done that a few times when the poker gods are using me as their personal whipping boy.

The idea is to clear the mind. If you have one of the programs that allows you to review recent play, do it. You might discover some bad habit creeping into your game, such as chasing 4-card straights or flushes. Even taking one of the courses over again just to reinforce the lesson can be helpful.

As JWK24 said, we all have gone through such spells. Heck, I'm in a 5-month dry spell at our local social poker club. Been blinded out three times without a card over a ten. It happens. I'm betting part of the problem might be self inflicted expectations. Try to chill.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com