Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl zoom KK vs preflop 5bet

Old
5nl zoom KK vs preflop 5bet - Wed Mar 12, 2014, 03:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012

23/19 (45 hands)
didn't see him 3bet untill now
What should be the plan when a what looks to be a TAG 3bets your early position open? Can you get away from it on the flop if you just call the 3b preflop?
In what circumstances would you 4b/call KK, or 4b shove?

Old
Wed Mar 12, 2014, 06:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
In my experience you are against AA most of the time (in 5NL).

You made it very clear you have a monster, 4-betting from UTG and he now minraises you.
I'm putting him on AA or the very unlikely KK. AK would have folded or 5bet-shoved, same for QQ imo.

So I might have folded to his 5bet. Calling that would be a mistake so eighter shove as you did or fold.

Old
Wed Mar 12, 2014, 06:44 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
I wouldn't be 4betting.

Given you did 4b you have to stack off pre.

Old
Wed Mar 12, 2014, 06:59 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
just a cooler although VILLAINs hand ,for 5nl, looked like AA as long as you have your share of times that you have the Aces and opponent has KK then things will even out in long run. however in this kind of spot with the bet sizing VILLAIN chose you always get a bad feeling GL Euan

Last edited by euan12345; Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 07:02 AM..

Old
Wed Mar 12, 2014, 08:11 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
I think you can make a strong case for just calling the 3Bet preflop.

You're UTG and coming in for a 3x raise, which means your range should be pretty strong. Then a TAG 3Bets from the SB. The SB is in the worst position post-flop and he's 3Betting vs what is already perceived to be a strong range. This means that SB is representing only the top few % of hands as he'd likely flat-call with AK, JJ- etc.

When you 4Bet, your range is pretty much exclusively AA/KK, which makes it easy for villain to play perfectly. By calling, you keep his range a tiny bit wider and you're in position.

As played when he min 5Bets at 5NL - I think he's got AA nearly all of the time, so you could make a legitimate case for folding, as you're not getting the odds to setmine.

However the times when he is making some goofy play with QQ/JJ/AK mean that stacking off is also fine of course. Might be worth making a note though that he min 5Bets with AA

Old
Wed Mar 12, 2014, 03:20 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
This is one of the few spots where I just call the 3-bet with KK.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 13, 2014, 07:11 AM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2011
in this case i would close my eyes and went all in. I am not going to fold / slow down KK even when I am against AA in some cases and this could be the case of course.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com