Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$2.50 MTT SnG Turbo 180p 3bet shove grey area

Old
$2.50 MTT SnG Turbo 180p 3bet shove grey area - Wed Mar 12, 2014, 05:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Hi Everyone,

I dont have a great deal of info on the Villian who opens from early/mid position here i have 16 hands and they're showing 40/13 so maybe we can think they're a little loose passive but its obviously too early to tell.

To me here i had 2 options shove or fold,i think im too shallow to be either set mining/flatting with a hand that doesnt play well post flop or non allin 3betting for value so much of my stack at this late stage of the tournament with blinds and antes going up rapidly.

If this situation occurs in late position I'd be more inclinded to shove Vs a wider range but here I was probably leaning towards a fold given where its coming from and the hands they're raising/calling with from there that deep and also i still have 4 opponents behind me.

i think in this spot im shoving for sure TT+ 88 and 99 i felt like where a little bit of a grey area.

What do you all think? i look forward to seeing
Thanks

Last edited by Nashy1996; Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 10:05 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 12, 2014, 06:35 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
I think 40/13 is more at loose passive side, and as for me folding there against UTG+2 open raise would be the best option with 20+BB. but I would gamble with 7-8BB's.

Old
Thu Mar 13, 2014, 03:26 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2013
Hi there

With blinds at 200/400 in the 180Ts, this is very close to the bubble, probably 10 left and definitely less than 20. I'm going for 1st, and with your stack, you should be trying to assert max pressure when the situation calls for it. I'm not so much worried about the shorter stacks behind me with the bubble bursting in probably 10min. They should be more scared of you, not the other way around.

40/13 isn't too much to go by in the 2 orbits villain has been at the same table, imo, and I'd want to start using bubble dynamics here so I'm shoving over the top with 88's, not flatting. I want to maximize fe in turbos with this stack size near the bubble and pick up an extra 20% then and there.. and keep building my stack.

Old
Thu Mar 13, 2014, 04:20 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Rae View Post
Hi there

With blinds at 200/400 in the 180Ts, this is very close to the bubble, probably 10 left and definitely less than 20. I'm going for 1st, and with your stack, you should be trying to assert max pressure when the situation calls for it. I'm not so much worried about the shorter stacks behind me with the bubble bursting in probably 10min. They should be more scared of you, not the other way around.

40/13 isn't too much to go by in the 2 orbits villain has been at the same table, imo, and I'd want to start using bubble dynamics here so I'm shoving over the top with 88's, not flatting. I want to maximize fe in turbos with this stack size near the bubble and pick up an extra 20% then and there.. and keep building my stack.
And how would you range him?

Old
Thu Mar 13, 2014, 11:31 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Nashy1996

Well this is an interesting one. I would probably elect to fold this hand more often than not but it would feel like a hero fold. I think that I would be shipping it in about 40% of the time and folding 60% of the time.

Villains numbers show that he is loose passive which leads me to believe that he's only raising legit hands. So if we do shove here we are usually shoving against a solid hand rather than your typical suited connector/any broadway hand.

Ultimately this spot comes down to how we perceive villain. In a vacuum I think I would shove. It's very very close though. None of us are short by any means. I think the table dynamics have a lot to do in this spot. If all the players behind us are really tight then we ought to be shoving the eights.

16 hands isn't much evidence to assume that the 40/13 guy is indeed very loose/passive but it's very likely.

I'm intrigued to find out what other players opinions are.

Cheers, Chris.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com