Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

AKo from UTG 4max, FT

Old
AKo from UTG 4max, FT - Wed Mar 12, 2014, 06:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2012
Hello,
There was crazy dynamic on the table. I was fast sure he could call my 4bet shove even with AJ and 88. I checked it in ICMIZER
and it shows up that 4bet shove there is a slightly +EV, because of short stack on the table.
BB: 34.4 BB (VPIP: 54.00, PFR: 40.00, 3Bet Preflop: 10.53, Hands: 101)
Hero (CO): 41.78 BB
BTN: 126.99 BB (VPIP: 50.79, PFR: 40.32, 3Bet Preflop: 18.75, Hands: 67)
SB: 15.83 BB (VPIP: 29.52, PFR: 11.43, 3Bet Preflop: 2.22, Hands: 106)
I would like to hear, what's the best option there for you?

Last edited by Shichi-77; Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 07:08 AM..

Old
Wed Mar 12, 2014, 01:50 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2011
4-bet shove

Old
Wed Mar 12, 2014, 02:50 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Looks like a jam to me. I doubt villain can really call with an unpaired hand, so shipping the blockers has a lot of fold equity + flip equity (unless you run into aces, ldo).

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 13, 2014, 03:37 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2013
Grats on the FT btw I think the situation isn't so clear cut as first look. Look at the SB stats. Not sure about the payouts top end, but I it may be more profitable to exploit this guy (SB) until there is 3 left, rather than take a flip vs this villain. When you're on the BTN you have the chip leader in the SB as well. You also have best relative position on villain1 too.

Old
Thu Mar 13, 2014, 04:09 AM
(#5)
Thanks, to all.
I agree with Marc and situation isn't so clear for me and agree with things he described. Just couple of things to mention . Short stack wasn't aggressive (he had to,but maybe he wasn't because we all where playing crazy dynamic), and I really think that I didn't have such a big fold equity against opp, because of my 3bet and 4bet stats at FT. and can't understand now, was it good or bad , one side I can get call from worst hands , but other side I'm risking to bust out earlier than short stack,but If i win second place is fast guaranteed . There is a good difference between prize pay outs . Of course it doesn't mean that I fear to be busted(I wouldn't play poker at all ) , just want to do the best

Last edited by Shichi-77; Thu Mar 13, 2014 at 04:21 AM..

Old
Thu Mar 13, 2014, 04:32 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2013
If you think they will call with worse, ship it.
If not, flat the 3bet.

Old
Thu Mar 13, 2014, 04:46 AM
(#7)

this is ICMIZER result. It's + EV but is this result enough?

Last edited by Shichi-77; Thu Mar 13, 2014 at 04:49 AM..

Old
Thu Mar 13, 2014, 08:39 AM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2010
Hi Shichi-77, congrats on reaching the final table!

I tracked down the tourney you were in to see what the pay jumps were like, as this might have some significance as to what you should do:

1st - $420.60
2nd - $288.72
3rd - $163.52
4th - $116.80

As you can see, the jump from 4th - 3rd isn't that significant compared to the two jumps that follow, which means that we should be willing to take some risks to ensure we are more likely to get into the top two spots.

Also, the short-stack at the table really isn't that short yet, so I think it's too early to start playing super-tight waiting for him to drop out.

If you were to get all in with V1 and lose, it would not be the end of the world as you'd still be left with a ~8BB stack which is by no means a fatal situation to be in, whereas V1 has to be scared of you as you can end his tournament right there and then.

Another factor to bear in mind is that you have the only guy who can knock you out sat to your left, which can be a very awkward situation for you to be in, so you should be very grateful any time he gets out of your way!

Taking all these factors into account, we can now have a much more informed analysis of the actual hand!

Obviously at a 4-max table, people's ranges in all circumstances will typically be much wider, so AK is an even stronger hand than normal as a typical villain might be willing to stack off with AQ/AJ where they might not do in a 9-max or even a 6-max table.

V1's stats indicate that he's not exactly afraid to play sub-premium hands in an aggressive manner, so I think that you can comfortably 4Bet shove AKo for value, expecting calls from a few worse hands but also importantly folding out some hands that have decent equity against us like all pocket pairs 88 and lower that might not want to put their tournament life when they are going to be flipping at best.

So I think shoving is the best play, but you could make a good case for calling in position particularly if the villain is very passive post-flop.

Old
Thu Mar 13, 2014, 01:07 PM
(#9)
Thanks to all

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com