Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl zoom combo draw bluffed on the river

Old
5nl zoom combo draw bluffed on the river - Thu Mar 13, 2014, 10:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012

20/18
cb flop 99; cb turn 25; 25wtsd
He missed that flop alot, I had some backdoors and 2 overs so I decided to float. The plan failed as he barreled the turn, judging by his sizing he shouldn't be too strong here, would raising him ott be better? I just called because I wasn't sure I want to call a shove(also failed to properly range him, maybe he doesn't have hands that would shove)
On the river on what do you put him? AA-QQ looking to bet/fold cheaply?
Before folding he said "lol you flopped trips and rivered boat or something"

Old
Thu Mar 13, 2014, 11:10 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Perfect hand. OTT I wouldn't raise. You have too much going on for you! Even if the villain checks to you. Just X back IMO.

OTR: I like the raise, just be careful when doing this vs weak opponents. Weak opponents will call your raise OTR because "they can't believe how unlucky they are" so they'll call to see how unlucky they are.

Old
Thu Mar 13, 2014, 11:17 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
In theory its fine but in practice I wouldn't be pulling this kinda thing at 5nl.

If he bets thinly this play has more merit. Unfortunately most of the time you are just gonna get called by 77 or something stupid like that.

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 01:42 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Pray,

I'm not really tracking with the judgement that he's weak because of his sizing. He sized his bets consistently on all streets:

Flop 50%
Turn 58%
River 54%

I think the telling part about hand strength comes from what the stats say about his actions, assuming the sample size is relevant and not small... this villain's modus operandi is to auto-cbet the flop, then give up on the turn if he doesn't have anything (if these stats are over a significant sample, he is a superb float candidate and I love the flop call). So in this hand, he doesn't give up, he fires the 2nd barrel and for an increased sizing. Against such stats I think we can comfortably range him as overpairs and a few nut flush draws, as well as a few boats like 99/55. We've turned enough equity to call again, but I'm not a fan of the river raise as a bluff without some specific player reads that he's capable of folding a hand like QQ to it... most players at 5nl aren't, especially after firing 3 barrels. I would expect we are folding out only missed nut club draws most of the time. His chat comment doesn't rule out AcKc either.

In general we should be bluffing weakness, not strength, especially so vs. 5nl players. You were feeling like he was weak so that's what you did, which is good, but I'm not tracking with that read for the reasons above. Try constructing a range for the villain and see how many hands on the turn are weak (basically the draws) vs made hands (overpairs, trips, boats).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by TheLangolier; Fri Mar 14, 2014 at 01:45 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com