Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NL FR / QJd rushed hand

Old
NL FR / QJd rushed hand - Thu Mar 13, 2014, 02:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2014
BronzeStar
I'm still going through the basics, but I was just wondering, did I really play this out very badly? I'm very new to learning poker, regardless of how long I actually have been playing.
This was in the 100k freeroll

First hand in a tournament, and I felt I could really go aggressive here, I might have been out of position, a lot. But was this a very bad play, or did I just had a bad draw? In my opinion, I did try counting the outs and my odds of winning, and I made a rushed descision of playing it.

I'm still learning, and this is the best I could come up with to create a thread, maybe the next one will be more informative.

Old
Thu Mar 13, 2014, 03:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Magic Ponies!

On the very first hand, I have QJs in the hijack. Because of it being the first hand, I most likely have no idea how the players behind me are playing (aggressive or passive). Due to this (or if I know they are aggressive), I need to muck this preflop as my hand is nowhere near strong enough to call a raise with.

If I did raise, I would need to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper, to 60 chips.

I see a 4-way flop where I get a gutshot draw and an opp overbets the flop (a standard bet against 3 opps is 3/4 pot as post-flop bets should be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture). I absolutely need to muck to this bet. I need to put 500 chips into a pot that will be 1436 (34.8%). I have 4 outs and from the rule of 4 and 2, each out is worth 2% to the turn, so my hand is only worth 8%. This means that everytime I put chips into the pot here, I expect to lose 26.8% of them on average... why I need to muck.

I want to be putting my chips into the pot when I expect to gain chips, not when I expect to lose them.

The key here is to muck marginal hands preflop early in a tourney, until I can get a read on the other players.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com