Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Am I too nitty?

Old
Am I too nitty? - Thu Mar 13, 2014, 10:05 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013

Have I played this hand too nitty? Should I reraise flop, bet bigger on turn, and reraise the blocker bet on the river?

Old
Thu Mar 13, 2014, 10:33 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
With so much equity i'd be raising the flop for sure.

Open ender with a flush draw is actually flipping vs sets and flopped straights. We risk losing all that equity on a bad turn.

Our sizing OTT is also way too small. I'd be betting closer to a $1.

Furthermore, we are losing even more value by not raising the river. We have the 3rd nuts! Lets play it that way

Old
Thu Mar 13, 2014, 10:54 PM
(#3)
Yea, but I have lost so many times by re-raising the river, and having the Villain 3bet shoving me with the A high flush. Its hard to get a call from worse. I did not think the Villain had a set or a straight on the turn, since he didn't check-raise my baby bet. The hand I have put him on was AK, and it could have easily been AK of spades.

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 06:39 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2013
I probably would call the flop as you did. (what is, like birdayy says, prob not oke). But OTT you made a significant mistake imo. a bet like $1 would be better. Your hand was good on the flop, your hand just got a little better (althought you rather have your draws to hit, especially str8).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIM1C View Post
Yea, but I have lost so many times by re-raising the river, and having the Villain 3bet shoving me with the A high flush.
Nobody said nothing about calling a reraise OTR . On the river people often don't mess around. If you put a healthy raise out there, like $1,50 or $2 and you get reraised, you can assume your hand is not as good as it looks but there is no reason to think his babybet is the nuts

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 10:55 AM
(#5)
yup. too nitty and bad bet sizing.

I would reraise OTF to maximize value for my monster draw.

As played, bet bigger OTT and reraise a bit OTR. I found out lately this is where you get a lot of winnings, to maximize your value on the river if you have a good enough hand.

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 01:28 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
I would have raise OTF to $1.00... Here are the hands that will probably GII vs. you. (AA,TT-99,AKs,ATs)
I took out 66s because I feel that 66 may only call your raise. You should be +EV trying to get this in OTF. You're just over 100bb deep so I think this is a spot where we want to get all the money in. Even if you add 66s we're flipping.

Board: 6sTc9s
       Equity     Win     Tie
MP2    48.76%  48.76%   0.00% { AA, TT-99, AKs, ATs }
CO     51.24%  51.24%   0.00% { QsJs }

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 03:27 PM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
Hi M1M1C,

I would expect villain to bet again on the turn if he held AsKs, his line looks much more like AQ, AJ, JJ, or an overpair that is pot controlling the turn on a coordinated board imo.

I agree we should raise for value directly on the flop, and we can comfortably stack this off with so much equity and 2 cards to come. One small quibble with birdayy, we are not flipping vs. sets... 60/40 dog is not quite a flip (I usually think of a flip as something in the 55-45 zone). Still it's only a small quibble, while not a flip having 40% in one of our worst case scenarios bodes pretty well for us vs. the villain's range as a whole. We are also 59/41 against specifically 8s7s, but the other 87s straights we are actually a favorite over on the flop with this many outs. And we are flipping against AA (on the small favorite side of it).

I agree on the turn sizing being too small as well. The river action looks like a blocking bet, to try and get to showdown cheaply. Since we got there, I think we should raise but make it smaller or he'll just bet/fold mostly. I would probably tempt him with like $1.25 here.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 03:29 PM
(#8)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIM1C View Post
Yea, but I have lost so many times by re-raising the river, and having the Villain 3bet shoving me with the A high flush. Its hard to get a call from worse. I did not think the Villain had a set or a straight on the turn, since he didn't check-raise my baby bet. The hand I have put him on was AK, and it could have easily been AK of spades.
You recognized in the OP that his river action was a blocking bet... do you think AsKs makes a blocking bet on the river? No, it bets much more normal sized for value. It seems like you got gun shy due to some run bad, which is understandable, but if you think it through this is not the action I would expect from the nuts.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 09:54 PM
(#9)
Since: Sep 2012
Note I said sets and straights as a combined range.

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 10:03 PM
(#10)
(Head Trainer)
Didn't read that way to me, I read it as vs each individually, but point taken.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 17, 2014, 12:44 PM
(#11)
Thanks everyone, I have since changed my playstyle a bit, went a bit more ballsy and aggressive with my huge draws.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com