Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Off-Topic Discussions /

Formula One 2014

Old
Formula One 2014 - Fri Mar 14, 2014, 08:06 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Any Formula One fans at PSO?

I've been following it since the early 90's. New season starts this weekend with a string of new regulation changes for 2014.

It's going to be interesting for sure.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 08:44 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2013
I have not been following it recent years, but used to do it in the Schumacher years.

can you recap the regulation changes? I think I heard there will be limit on fuel consumption. Is that correct?

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 08:52 AM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleBeetl View Post
can you recap the regulation changes?
Hey Tweedle,

This video sums it up better than I ever could

It's a more 'greener' car for sure but some don't like the changes, especially the sound of the new engines. I think most will get used to it very quickly.

It should lead to a very exciting championship and with double-points up for grabs in the season finale it should go down to the wire!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 10:21 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2011
I'm a big fan and have not missed many races since the late 80's. Had many a crazed Sunday trying to find a TV with it on. Twice having to pay a large deposits on TV's so that they'd leave them on in thunder storms. Luckly there are web sites now where you can see it anywhere. Shh...don't tell Sky.

I spent a few years (86-89) working as a mechanic in race teams running group C cars. The cars that compete at Le Mans. Although a long time ago, watching pit stops quickly brings back the feeling of waiting for your car to pull into the box. We always re-fueled at stops, which took around 90 secounds, so not as frantic as F1.

Still see some of the guys i worked with doing there stuff in F1.

Not sure i like the changes. Trying to make F1 green is a bit like trying to make boxing non-contact.

Think we're going to see lots of cars going up in smoke or hitting the kitty litter, which is not good for anyone. Some really ugly cars out there too. Not that it should matter what they look like.

Think the double points thing is complete madness.

Will be cheering for Button. And I'd like to see Massa do well in the Williams. Watching the Ferrari drivers battle it out should be fun. Hamilton throws his toys out of the pram to much for my liking.

So yes, I love it and will be glued to my screen all weekend.

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 10:46 AM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisnot View Post
Think we're going to see lots of cars going up in smoke
That's a BIG worry. What do you think the over/under on how many finishers there will be?

I'm going for half the field DNF, maybe 11 finishers, oil and slippery flags at every turn (Ok maybe that's a bit OTT)

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 11:27 AM
(#6)
Not sure 11 will make the warm up lap.

Guessing some won't even make the grid. Shame really.

Feel for the teams. Our car in 88 didn't make 24 minutes (Cosworths cock up, not ours) let alone 24 hours at Le Mans and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2Kf_4JefHc is how it ended for one of our cars in 89. Devastating after all the work you put in.

So many changes and so little testing aloud. Not good.

Hours before the next practise and I'm still checking the clock every 5 minutes.

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 02:36 PM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2010
I love Formula One - it's my favourite sport to watch and I've watched every race from 1997 onwards.

Australia has a relatively high attrition rate at the best of times and the pre-season testing has made it even more likely that we might not even end up with a double-digit amount of finishers.

My big concern is that Caterham either won't make it to the grid at all or will be outside the 107% when it comes to qualifying, so the race might easily only start with 20 cars.

I'm going for 13 finishers and Marussia to score a point with Bianchi.

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 03:23 PM
(#8)
Think they've said they won't be to strict with the 107% rule for the first race.

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 03:26 PM
(#9)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Think they've said they won't be to strict with the 107% rule for the first race.
Yeah, I hear a lot of the pack are very slow and we can expect to see a lot of blue flags waving during the race.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 03:41 PM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2010
Have you seen the film RUSH? James Hunt & Nicki Lauda biopic. They made a decent film there that took me back.

I was a big fan back in those days - the seventies. Hunt was a hero - so was Mario Andretti winning the drivers championship in the JPS Lotus - that was a great season.

I used to go to Silverstone and Brands Hatch when they alternated the British Grand Prix between those venues.

A friend was working for Candy when they sponsored the Tyrell team that had a six-wheeled F1 car - not sure how that would work in the regs these days. Also had friends with connections to the Arrows team that had gold liveries cars. So often got pit-passes and could look close at the cars and occasionally chat to team members (rarely the drivers) on practice days.

My fan years were definitely the mid-seventies to early eighties. I lost interest since then - look in occasionally and usually find it a bit dull. I moved on to motorbikes and pretty much any motorbike race is better viewing than F1.

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 03:51 PM
(#11)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
That passed me by, although I know they've been pretty lax with it in the past anyways.

But I don't really think it's in anyone's interest to have cars running around at 10 secs/lap slower or something, even though they might get in the points depending on other teams' reliability.

Hope we don't see too many more of these sensor failures that automatically shut down the car like what happened to Hamilton in FP1 :S

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 04:44 PM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
But I don't really think it's in anyone's interest to have cars running around at 10 secs/lap slower or something, even though they might get in the points depending on other teams' reliability.
Thing is if a team doesn't make the race they don't get start money and may also lose money from there sponsors for that race. Some are only just hanging on by there finger nails as it is. Don't want to lose teams if it can be helped.

Ed. Yes I've seen Rush. Think it was very well done. BBC did a great documentary on thier battle too.

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 04:58 PM
(#13)
Since: Aug 2013
Seen Rush Ed I'm a petrol head.. used to race vee's and formula fords the like in my former life. love the odd hill climb and motokhana when I can!

hard to watch televised f1 here as it usually during graveyard hours.. definitely watching tomorrow though

dream to watch f1 at spa and montecarlo!

Old
Sat Mar 15, 2014, 12:37 AM
(#14)
F1 Lost me for the most part when the slicks got taken away....but still somewhat follow it.
Was a fan of the Villeneuves', Prost, Greg Moore was unreal and F1 worthy future star.
Loved to imitate Jackie's voice as a kid.
Am a fan of Hamilton and Button...esp. because Button is from Frome, Somerset
p.s. at 42 Jacques says he'll have a go at the Indy 500 this year

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 15, 2014, 03:37 AM
(#15)
Since: Jan 2013
F1 might rename itself into Vettel and the rest...

Old
Sat Mar 15, 2014, 07:23 AM
(#16)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamblingProp View Post
F1 might rename itself into Vettel and the rest...
Maybe not for this season as the 'Bulls' don't seem too confident about their car this year although Ricardo did a sterling job in qualifying.

McLaren look very strong but we'll get a better idea of where the teams are after the race. Forecast is for a dry race which is good. It's hard to say what team is performing well in a wet/dry race.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 16, 2014, 12:12 AM
(#17)
Here we go!

May get rain which is the only hope for my Button bet!

Old
Melbourne Results - Sun Mar 16, 2014, 04:56 AM
(#18)
(Community Coordinator)
1 Nico Rosberg - Mercedes
2 Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull
3 Kevin Magnussen - McLaren
4 Jenson Button - McLaren
5 Fernando Alonso - Ferrari
6 Valtteri Bottas - Williams
7 Nico Hulkenberg - Force India
8 Kimi Raikkonen - Ferrari
9 Jean-Eric Vergne - Toro Rosso
10 Daniil Kvyat - Toro Rosso
11 Sergio Perez - Force India
12 Adrian Sutil - Sauber
13 Esteban Gutierrez - Sauber
14 Max Chilton - Marussia
15 Jules Bianchi - Marussia
16 Romain Grosjean - Lotus
17 Pastor Maldonado - Lotus
18 Marcus Ericsson - Caterham
19 Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull
20 Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes
21 Felipe Massa - Williams
22 Kamui Kobayashi - Caterham

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 29, 2014, 08:54 AM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)
Malaysia's all set for a hot and humid race.

Qualifying took place earlier, here's the Top 3 on the grid for tomorrow's race.

1 - Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
2 - Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull Racing)
3 - Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Malaysia Race 2 Results - Sun Mar 30, 2014, 07:55 AM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)
Lewis Hamilton took the spoils this time out leading home a one-two finish for Mercedes. Early days yet but it looks like the Red Bull domination days might be over!

1 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2 Nico Rosberg Mercedes
3 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull
4 Fernando Alonso Ferrari
5 Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes
6 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes
7 Felipe Massa Williams-Mercedes
8 Valtteri Bottas Williams-Mercedes
9 Kevin Magnussen McLaren-Mercedes
10 Daniil Kvyat STR-Renault
11 Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault
12 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari
13 Kamui Kobayashi Caterham-Renault
14 Marcus Ericsson Caterham-Renault
15 Max Chilton Marussia-Ferrari
Ret Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing-Renault
Ret Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari
Ret Adrian Sutil Sauber-Ferrari
Ret Jean-Eric Vergne STR-Renault
Ret Jules Bianchi Marussia-Ferrari
Ret Pastor Maldonado Lotus-Renault
DNS Sergio Perez Force India-Mercedes

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com