Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

The hot .55

Old
The hot .55 - Fri Mar 14, 2014, 09:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
How could I have got maximum value?

The info I have on the villain is extremely tight, I have played against this guy many times before and anytime I
raise or reraise he folds, I was trying to trap him - unsuccessfully of course - any suggestions?

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 10:51 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi auntyrae!

With KTs from the BB, I can play this two ways preflop. I can either check and sandbag my hand some or if the opp is loose, I can make a standard raise to 120 (3BB+1BB for each limper). I'll play it both ways, so that it varies my play some and so that the opp won't be able to get a read on me.

I flop the nut flush, but this is a board that can very easily connect with the opp too, since there are two broadways on it. Due to this, I'm going to make a standard value bet on the flop of 1/2 pot (38 chips). Most people are going to expect a high flush to check and try to trap, so I'm going to lead. By leading here, it makes it look like I have an A or a draw... so I can get called by less.

The turn gives me a royal and here is where I'm going to once again, make it look like I had an A and I'm going to check (like I'm scared of the flush) and hope that the opp has a spade and bets. If they bet, I'll just call.

The river pairs the A and since the opp checked behind on the turn (has a low spade if they have one), I'm going to try to continue the line of making my hand look like an A and make a value bet. The key with the river bet is the sizing of it. A standard bet to price opps out for any draws on the flop or turn is 1/2 pot, but this is the river, so I don't need to worry about any further cards. Due to this, I'm going to make a thin value bet here of about 1/3 pot (65 chips).

I don't want to bet too much on the river, as it will basically turn my cards face-up to the opp (slowplaying a big spade) as it makes it look like I'm trying to trap on the turn and then since there was no bet on the turn... trying to bet too much to make up for lost value for not betting on the turn.

The key with big hands like this is to make a bet on the river that the opp will call. If I bet too much and they fold, I get nothing for my monster hand, so I want to size my bet smaller, so that lesser hands will be tempted to call.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:52 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Thanks John, some great insight there, I hadn't considered repping an A. I'll definitely try that should this scenario arise again

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com