Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL 6-max AdQd multi-way pot. Is the allin shove correct ?

Old
2NL 6-max AdQd multi-way pot. Is the allin shove correct ? - Sat Mar 15, 2014, 08:36 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013

Villain_1 VP88 PFR 6 AF/3Total/3F/3T/2R (16) (fold to flop CB 67%)
villain_2 No data
villain_3 VP30 PRF 5 AF/2Total/0F/2T/inf R (20) (fold to flop CB 100%)

Observations
villain_1 seems to be very loose however he did play +44BB/100 over his first 16 hands. However in this hand he limp calls and I assessed his hand to be weak
villain_2 is unknown but sits down with 65BB, mostly a sign of a weaker player
villain_3 seems to be more tight,although somewhat passive. however sample size is very low.

I have a few questions about this hand

1. Preflop, should I have squeezed ? I opted to call the preflop raise as I was NOT in position and as more players were involved combined with the fact that I had no real data. Also I thought that 3-betting here would mean to bet 16 or 18 BB and be committing to a shove of villain 2 and finally I would be playing a bloated pot oop against 2 to 3 players

2. Flop. I decided to semi-bluff and check raise shove the flop. Reasoning behind this
a. a check raise works good in a multiplayer pot
b. I expect villain_1 here to fold often as he is playing a very weak range imo (limp call preflop) . I put him on some small pocket pair, suited connectors or broadway. He could be playing diamonds but as I have diamonds, chances for him having 2 diamonds are less likely
c. Villain_2 did raise preflop but this might have been isolation raise. I therefore put him on a broad range as well, most of which should not really connect to this flop
of course for both players go they can have a monster as well but I do believe that calling a shove hers is going to be difficult
d. villain_3 merely called the preflop raise so I would not give him a very strong range. Of course he as well can be playing a monster or have hit hard but in general I think he will connect poorly to the board, I would put him on a lot of overcard combos or smaller pocket pairs. Also his range is likely broad as he is on the button

Well....... I got one to fold and seemed be right in ranging villain_2. Villain_3 nicely discised his hand

But regardless of the result,I was wondering about the play.
1. Is it correct to check raise against 3 opp in this situation
2. Should it have been better to only reraise to 40 BB or so (as this would have been a committing call for the other players as well >)
3. Did I make errors in above reasoning and if so what are those ?

Last edited by betsizer; Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: correcting statement

Old
Sat Mar 15, 2014, 12:15 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi betsizer,

I think shoving is perfectly fine here. There's already .92c in the pot and the biggest stack remaining is less than the pot, so raising less doesn't seem to make much sense, and we always have decent equity when called here so semi-bluffing against this crew should be very profitable imo.

The one thing that needs to be stressed is to ignore win rate over tiny samples, it is beyond meaningless. A V1 could be the biggest fish in the player pool, win one big hand, and have a win rate of +500bb/100 in a 16 hand sample. He could be the strongest player in the pool, run KK into AA once, and have an enormous -BB/100 in 16 hands. This win rate is actually a small result over such a small sample... 44 big blinds = .88c/100 hands, or .0088c per hand... *16 hands = a result of +.14c thus far. This doesn't mean anything towards his long term results. Although I think it's safe to assume he's not a winning player because the above implies he bought in for 80bb's, and thus far he's voluntarily put $ in the pot 14/18 times, 2 facts that point strongly towards a non-winning player.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 16, 2014, 04:48 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2013
thank you

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com