Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NLHE / KQs / Fold on the flop

Old
NLHE / KQs / Fold on the flop - Sun Mar 16, 2014, 02:30 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi, here is another hand i'm sending with the one above. Players tend sometimes to jeopardize their hands. In this example, I think there was a chance he could be doing it with the Q, but with any kicker, hoping I would think it was a bluff and would try to catch it with a lower pair. But since he moved all his chips, I don't think he would
risk this movement, having in mind i could have the Q with a better kicker or overpair. Thanks
Note: 0.25c tournament, kind of tight player

Last edited by shynleigh355; Sun Mar 16, 2014 at 02:34 PM..

Old
Sun Mar 16, 2014, 02:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I think a fold here is fine. Board is really dry and you still have a ton of chips. I would think that this player would be doing this with Qx or bottom 2p... something like that. They might be doing this with 64 or 68 but I don't know why they'd shove... seems silly.

Old
Sun Mar 16, 2014, 03:32 PM
(#3)
Yes, I totally agree with you. But since we were relatively too deep, I decided to let it go and try to find another spot.It's also a final table. Later on unfortunately lost with my AJxA5

Old
Sun Mar 16, 2014, 03:56 PM
(#4)
If this is final table then it's a SNAPfold. Villain 8 is super short... ICM comes into play here because the money jumps are large at FTs.

Old
Sun Mar 16, 2014, 09:46 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi shynleigh355!

With KQs from the SB, I'm going to make a standard raise when it folds to me, so I will raise to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper or 1000. I don't want to min-raise here, as due to the chips already in the pot, the opp only needs under 20% equity to call, so they can call IN position against me with absolutely anything.

I flop top pair/2nd kicker and I'm absolutely going to make a standard value bet here. A standard bet against one opp is 1/2 pot, so I will bet 975.

The opp now ships on me. While a hand like this (if the pot odds were right and a bet would pot-commit me), I'm more than happy to shove with, I don't want to be calling a shove with it and due to this, I'm begrudgingly going to fold. I'll still have a very playable stack and can hopefully find a better spot to get my chips into.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 16, 2014, 10:30 PM
(#6)
Hi,
Thanks for answering. I could learn from you previous analysis and this new one how STPR can actually make my decisions easier. If i'm not getting it wrong, whent it is lower, it is worth putting my stack in more situations (including more marginal ones). However, when it is higher, I'd better avoid marginally profitable or unprofitable spots with big variance and try to put my chips in more solid (less variant) ones, with a stronger line of profit in the long run. Am I missing anything?

Old
Sun Mar 16, 2014, 11:08 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
When the SPR is lower, you need to be ready to get the chips in with whatever you're playing as you can easily be priced in to play most cards.

When it's higher, then you can play more marginal hands, as you can then fold.

Dave has two videos on SPR in the library. SPR1 SPR2

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com