Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

Get your calculators out !

Old
Get your calculators out ! - Sun Mar 16, 2014, 03:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
This isn't a bad beat story. They bore the pants off me. I just wanna know exactly how bad I'm running.

Every time some numpty has shoved on me with suited cards this month (and I've called) he's hit the flush. EVERY time. Fourteen in a row. Where's stato? What are the odds of that? It must be like hitting the lottery in reverse.

Old
Sun Mar 16, 2014, 04:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
All I can do is point you to a variance calculator

http://pokerdope.com/tournament-variance-calculator/

Any combination of actions can happen if you give enough time. Just be careful you're not pricing in your opponents with their flush draws. It could be other spects of your game that is lacking but you only just notice the flush draws hitting. Don't automatically blame your opponents when swings like this happen but they do happen.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 17, 2014, 05:45 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
There's no "pricing in" applicable Oval. These are all pre flop shoves. Not that it would affect the odds of them hitting anyway.

Old
Mon Mar 17, 2014, 10:50 AM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2013
It depends on what your holding. As you said the odds of hitting certain hands doesn't change, but the percentage of them winning/losing will be based on heros cards VS villains cards.

For example,

AA vs Td9d equity to win is 77% vs 24%

55 vs Td9d equity to win is 48% vs 52%

but if they are hitting the flush everytime, and that is what's beating you only, then I am not sure.

Is it literally just the flush that beats you?

Cheers,

Matt

Last edited by pullin1988; Mon Mar 17, 2014 at 10:52 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com