Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10nl zoom 6m - maximize value or minimize losses with JJ set, wet board?

Old
10nl zoom 6m - maximize value or minimize losses with JJ set, wet board? - Tue Mar 18, 2014, 07:04 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Here's another tricky spot I found myself in recently.

Here's the villain's HUD stats:

From this I assumed the villain to be a recreational player.

But since the villain's 3-bet into my utg raise was fairly large, I assumed his range was like, QQ+, AK? (18 combos of QQ+, 16 combos of AK).

And when the villain c-bet less than his pre-flop 3-bet, I put him on AK.

Guess with the mini-reraise on the flop, I was trying to squeeze out an extra $ or two, hoping the price to call might *look* reasonable, even though the villain was really in bad shape with their entire range?

And then the villain made a straight on the turn with AK if that's what he had. So I didn't double-barrel.

But then went and called the river bet

1. Anybody prefer a fold pre-flop, even with position, versus a recreational?
2. Do people prefer a flat-call on the flop? Or think I might have been able to get away with a bigger re-raise on the flop? Or maybe should have made one bigger for protection?
3. Should I have bet the turn?
4. Or folded the river?

Thanks for the help!!

Old
Tue Mar 18, 2014, 09:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2013
lulz ima will be flipping tables if dat hapent to me (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Old
Tue Mar 18, 2014, 09:44 AM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2013
but dun forget to put it back to place ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

Old
Tue Mar 18, 2014, 11:54 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Hey Sam,

to answer your questions:

1. Never! You have position and a hand high up in your range that you want to defend even against a tighter range. Sometimes your jacks can win showdowns all by themselves, sometimes you set up and win big money against a strong range or a weak player, and sometimes you have to make tight folds ofc^^

2. I like calling > raising for the sole fear of losing AQ/AK too often. The board looks highly coordinated and you put a lot of pressure on QQ+ too by raising here. If villain is a recr. player he may even be on a wider 3bet range here so his handstrength may be weaker and you can profit more by keeping him in with that.

3. Tough turncard. If we go by the assumption of a weaker villain he may show up with hands like KQ or AQ alognside QQ+ so there's def value to be had here. Against AK we got outs so betting can't be too bad I feel.

4. Never! Looking at 3 and having checked back now signaling a weaker hand strength he can be valuebetting hands we beat.

Live Trainer

Old
Tue Mar 18, 2014, 11:55 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
loloollolol GL!! I especially like the graphical demonstration

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturoSasuki View Post
lulz ima will be flipping tables if dat hapent to me (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thank you for putting everything back in place

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturoSasuki View Post
but dun forget to put it back to place ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

Old
Tue Mar 18, 2014, 12:13 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Hey Felix!!

1. Okay, don't think I've ever folding in a similar spot - was just checking to see if maybe I should be

2,3. My ranging for players who are calling my 3-bets is definitely WAY too tight - like even when I think I'm being generous with a 'wider' range ... there's still people making calls just WAY outside even that. So maybe everybody's got a point about me doing the same with people who are making 3-bets as well - like maybe it's something I wouldn't be too aware of, if I'm giving people too much credit for having a stronger hand than they really have (and am folding a lot, etc).

Maybe it wouldn't hurt for me to try giving people wider ranges, and playing based on those ranges instead - which seems like it might be good practice for 25nl ... where the ranges seem to be even wider!

4. Okay, nice to hear that didn't make me a station to make that river call lol

Thanks Felix!!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com