5nl zoom AKs all in vs utg

Old
5nl zoom AKs all in vs utg - Wed Mar 19, 2014, 04:56 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012

19/17
38 wtsd
4bet 2/4
when do we and when do we not get all in preflop with AK vs utg?
What would be the best line here preflop and on the flop?

Old
Wed Mar 19, 2014, 06:29 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
This is really -ev spot to get in AKs. We really wasted a super playable hand by relying on preflop equity.

He's seems tight from the stats you gave and we are closing the action. I don't see any need to 3b. We dominate his AX opening range and can x/c a heap of flops.

We are also OOP. Some higher stakes guys actually advocate not having ANY 3betting range in the blinds vs utg because it puts their range so face up. I think this is overkill from a balance perspective but it's an interesting point nonetheless.

I slightly prefer 3betting out of the sb because it negates the bb from overcalling with a hugely wide range and making us play OOP vs 2 players.

In the bb we have no need to 3b to close out another player so I much prefer flatting especially vs this nit.

I'd advocate flatting, or if we do 3b, call the 4b.

Last edited by birdayy; Wed Mar 19, 2014 at 06:37 AM..

Old
Wed Mar 19, 2014, 10:11 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi pray,

I agree with birdayy, personally I'm not 3-betting preflop vs. a tight UTG open, for the reasons birdayy already stated.

Auto-3-betting AK is a mistake, and this spot is one of the worst imo (vs a nitty UTG open)... and as for getting it all in I think we are going to be at a huge disadvantage when all the money goes in pre here, up against QQ+ a lot. Whether or not this particular guy will include AK in his stack off pre range isn't too material imo, as it mostly just puts a bunch of split pots in our results... what's much more material is that I would expect AQ to never be in his stack off range, so we are always getting it in tied or bad. Always getting it in tied or bad isn't necessarily -EV by itself, but we need other +EV components to make up the difference if we hope to be profitable. Those components are generally the opponent folding too much, or continuing with worse too much. One thing inherent in either of those is a wider opening range.. something we can expect the least of from a tight UTG opener.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com