Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Off-Topic Discussions /

Full Tilt FlipOut Tournaments

Old
Full Tilt FlipOut Tournaments - Wed Mar 19, 2014, 10:13 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
There are new Flipout tournaments launching today at Full Tilt Poker.

Anyone planning on playing a few of these to try them out?

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 19, 2014, 11:00 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
I've found a You-tube video about Flipout tournaments!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 19, 2014, 12:59 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2012
The slow erosion of Full Tilt as a legitimate Poker site continues.

I guess some people will find enjoyment in these. Gamblers, slots players etc. but it's hard to see regs going for it. So its really just to appeal to those who have relatively little care for the skill element or those who are willing to give it up for whatever reason.

Old
Wed Mar 19, 2014, 01:18 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
It's certainly an interesting concept and I'm still not sure what style of player it will suit better, requires more thought there.

I kind of agree with bhoy that Full Tilt are continually steering towards a more "gambley" site. They have always been a site that wants to promote action and I suppose poker has been trending that way but I'm not sure if adding all these "action" games is just filling a niche or if it will be the downfall of their site.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 19, 2014, 01:27 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
The slow erosion of Full Tilt as a legitimate Poker site continues.

I guess some people will find enjoyment in these. Gamblers, slots players etc. but it's hard to see regs going for it. So its really just to appeal to those who have relatively little care for the skill element or those who are willing to give it up for whatever reason.
+1000

Old
Wed Mar 19, 2014, 02:02 PM
(#6)
Since: Mar 2012
SilverStar
won't they suit players who are good at going deep once in the money, so if you have a low % of cashes but consistently deep runs once you cash?

Old
Wed Mar 19, 2014, 02:23 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
I have a few thought's but I want to try the games first and will give feedback after I play. I don't think people should dismiss these so quickly.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 19, 2014, 02:39 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
I fold pre.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 19, 2014, 02:52 PM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2013
i might well have a look after MM i get it seems less skill but if you played enough then in theory you should make 1/4 FT (providing its 4max table) then its just a deepstack sng surely? providing you like deep sng's then they should appeal to regs as they will attract a fair few fishy/gamblers.

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 04:15 AM
(#10)
Initial thoughts,
I've played a few of these 55c games and always double buying in. I've reached 2 final tables, 1st and 7th - I was coolered QQ v KK and then AKs v 74s (10bbs) but the latter hand tells you the standard of these final tables. My 2nd FT I won although TBF I was chip leader for most of the game but I hit some good hands and also won a couple of 40/60 flips.

I found the final tables whale filled, after 10 hands all of the players were 50% + VPiP except me. That's not to say there are no decent players in these but the luck element ensures you've a very mixed bunch which I like.

Now to the bad point: I like deep stack slow structured games, especially against whales but these are just too deep and the game I won lasted over 200 hands and 2 hours.

Although everyone gets cash at a FT, you have to aim for a top 3 as anything less will be -EV long term so if you do play them keep this in mind.

$2.67 in profit from the small sample I played but you have to get lucky to reach a FT so playing these long term should be your aim.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 12:30 PM
(#11)
Since: Apr 2011
I was ready to write these off as another Full Tilt rake grab, but thought I would read and think up on it.

I do not think that the 81 player MTSNGs will be profitable for many at all because you are essentially playing a 9 player sng with 9 paid the predictable amount of times you make it through.

The MTTs could be profitable for good end gamers. There are going to be proportionally weaker players ITM than a normal MTT and I suspect when the recreational player gets lucky and makes it through they will too often want to ladder up, rather than make the big money spots which u need for a chance to show a long-term return on these.

That said in normal MTTs I am ITM 25% this year (long may that continue), these games cap your ITM, cap your chip stack once in the money, no chance to abuse bubble. So at the moment no idea whether these negs are outweighed by the weaker fields?

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 02:35 PM
(#12)
Since: Sep 2010
I've played a few of these.

When I was playing them, only the $0.55 games were running and they started fairly sporadically. Maybe the traffic is better at different times of day though.

However when you get through to the FT, the structure is really slow, which I found rather boring. I did face a few fish but at least half the tables were typically decent players who wouldn't just randomly donk off their stack, so you'd have to play for ages before hitting the decent money in the top 4 spots.

I might consider playing more of these if the traffic was busier but especially if the FT structure was sped up.

The other downside for this was that the FTs I made did not have synchronised breaks, I don't know if others suffered with this same issue?

Old
Sun Mar 23, 2014, 09:32 AM
(#13)
Since: Mar 2014
Signed onto FullTilt this week just to have a look at the new inceptions, as I couldn't initially understand the flipout stuff and multiple entries and wanted to have a go.

Had a go in most of the Festival tournys, mainly for the added value and "prizes", plus the one next week if you don't cash in 5 of them or whatever it is.

Find them okay, cashed a few times and 2nd once. In small profit so far overall and I prefer the deep play on the FT. Is just too much of a luckfest overall for me to be honest, especially after a run of 7 tournaments, 2 entries in all of them and a couple "double chance" tokens in the 81 SNG and not making it past the first round once has just put me off them!

I can see the benefit for some players though.

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 11:59 AM
(#14)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
lol, what a funny idea

Ignoring the first part with the flipout, it's kind of interesting to see regular tourney play starting with everyone itm, with there being no bubble. Because conventional tourney strategy factors in the bubble - like if the bubble's close and you have like 15bbs and no great cards, a lot of people'll wait for the bubble to burst before shoving. And big stacks'll take advantage of people in that position to steal blinds and build up their stack even more, etc.

So that would be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess Awe View Post
I do not think that the 81 player MTSNGs will be profitable for many at all because you are essentially playing a 9 player sng with 9 paid the predictable amount of times you make it through.
Yeah, maybe would these play a lot like STTs in the long-run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
Initial thoughts,
I've played a few of these 55c games and always double buying in. I've reached 2 final tables, 1st and 7th - I was coolered QQ v KK and then AKs v 74s (10bbs) but the latter hand tells you the standard of these final tables. My 2nd FT I won although TBF I was chip leader for most of the game but I hit some good hands and also won a couple of 40/60 flips.

I found the final tables whale filled, after 10 hands all of the players were 50% + VPiP except me. That's not to say there are no decent players in these but the luck element ensures you've a very mixed bunch which I like.

Now to the bad point: I like deep stack slow structured games, especially against whales but these are just too deep and the game I won lasted over 200 hands and 2 hours.

Although everyone gets cash at a FT, you have to aim for a top 3 as anything less will be -EV long term so if you do play them keep this in mind.

$2.67 in profit from the small sample I played but you have to get lucky to reach a FT so playing these long term should be your aim.
Are those the ones you played Ovalman? The ones profess awe mentioned?

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 12:25 PM
(#15)
I think so Sam,

HEM isn't tracking the flipout stages so all I can go by is my final tables and profit/ loss.

I've had 4 final tables in the 55c games, I won 1 and a 6,7,8th. I made a $2.50 something profit but I think I had more of my fair share of final tables. As I noted, you really have to aim for top 3 in these because long term if you don't cash high then these games will be -EV.

I then had a go at a 36 man $2.20 game, these are played on 4 x 9 man tables with the winner going through. I won through and it brought me into a 4 man final table. I won that so from a $25 deposit, my balance is $57.72.

I like these to an extent but the flip out stages do my head in. Any final table I've been on have been whale filled but the structure is really slow and deep so it suits a more patient approach. These are STTs and suit a STT strategy ie. start tight and loosen as the blinds go up and players get KO'd.

I think you need a deep enough bankroll though, there will be many spells where you fail to reach a FT so it's important to finish high up the prizes. If you average 3rd you should end up in profit so that is always my main aim.

As I said, don't be so quick to knock these. They suit a more skilful player as long as he has a deep enough bankroll. The swings will be higher than a normal STT.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 09:26 PM
(#16)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
so from a $25 deposit, my balance is $57.72.

I like these to an extent but the flip out stages do my head in. Any final table I've been on have been whale filled

Quote:
I like deep stack slow structured games, especially against whales but these are just too deep and the game I won lasted over 200 hands and 2 hours.
Quote:
but the structure is really slow and deep so it suits a more patient approach.

As I said, don't be so quick to knock these. They suit a more skilful player as long as he has a deep enough bankroll. The swings will be higher than a normal STT.
All the buzz has been about the front-end with the flipouts, which are pure gamble. So that's interesting to hear about the back-end where everybody actually starts to play poker lol - and it's interesting to hear that they made the format so heavily tilted in favor of skill. I would have thought they'd just give it a fast format, so people who want to gamble could continue to do so? But it seems like maybe they want people to start grinding these? Maybe so there's regs to keep the games going or something?

Quote:
I think you need a deep enough bankroll though, there will be many spells where you fail to reach a FT so it's important to finish high up the prizes. If you average 3rd you should end up in profit so that is always my main aim.
Hmmm ... guess if it's gonna take 9 tries on average to get to the STT part, then a grinder would need like 9 times the regular buy-in roll maybe? So if the standard bankroll cushion would be 100 buy-ins, for this flip-outs would that mean you'd need like 900 buy-ins of cushion to cover the variance?

That's a lot

Interesting that they chose to make the playing part a slow-structure - I'll bet there's already grinders who have played thousands of these

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com