Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL5 6max Zoom - BB AQs vs BTN 3bet pot

Old
Question
NL5 6max Zoom - BB AQs vs BTN 3bet pot - Wed Mar 19, 2014, 02:36 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
Poker Stars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Poker Stars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com

Button ($5.02)
SB ($5)
Hero (BB) ($5.41)
UTG ($5.24)
MP ($6.87)
CO ($5)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, A
3 folds, Button raises $0.10, 1 fold, Hero raises $0.40, Button calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.82) A, 4, 6 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.46, Button calls $0.46

Turn: ($1.74) 5 (2 players)
Hero bets $1, Button raises $2, Hero?

This hand is from NL5 6max Zoom.
BTN - VPIP: 28, PFR: 11, 3B: 0, F3B: 0, AF: 1.0, Hands: 18

I decided to 3bet with AQs from BB vs BTN min open raise and he called. I think Flop cbet with TPGK is standart. What do you think about my cbet on turn? And how to react to his raise there?

Old
Wed Mar 19, 2014, 02:50 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I would actually prefer a XC line here OTF. If it goes X,X OTF then I would continue with B, BF. Looking for 2 streets of value.

As played I would fold OTT. Board is really bad for our hand. Straights, 2 pair, sets, and straights with flush draws are all possible villain holdings.

Old
Thu Mar 20, 2014, 09:21 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
I think you have to bet the turn to charge draws. The min bet from a 1.0 AF is horrible. I might bet tempted to call that but i think it's a fold (2pairs and sets in is range).

Last edited by MrFlopes; Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 09:28 AM..

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 03:29 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi ImStylo!

The difficulty with this spot is that we don't know much about the villain. We can assume that his btn opening range is fairly wide. AQs is strong enough that you can call even out of position. This keeps the villain in the hand with a wide range. 3b as you did is also a good option. We can 3b for value, but without much info on the villain, we don't know what his folding/calling/4b ranges will be. If the villain has a high fold %, then calling will often be more profitable.

You flop tp on a fairly dry board. The ace may get the villain to fold some broadway hands and pocket pairs that miss this flop. The only hands we are beating that will likely call are weaker aces and some larger pocket pairs that cant find the fold btn. This does look like a two street of value hand as dirt eh mentions. I think both checking or cbettng the flop will be viable lines.

The turn gets interesting. A straight is possible, there is a flush draw and all the 2p set combos exist as well. We need to ask how these fit with the villain's range. Would he have called our preflop 3b and cbet on an A high board with two hearts? This seems unlikely since the A of hearts is on the flop. I think we can discount the likelyhood of a flush draw. Is a straight likely? Would he have called preflop and on the flop with 23 or 78? We don't know much about the villain but this seems unlikely too. Therefore, his turn raise seems to represent value hands consisting of 2 pair or sets. I give the villain credit for having a real hand since we havent seen him get out of line yet. If this is true, then we have no clean outs. If we river a Q, we might still lose to a set. If we river an A we might lose to a full house. Therefore, I would fold to the turn raise.

This might seem nitty, but without more information on the villain I give him credit for having what he is repping.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com