Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL Zoom AK in BB facing CO raise and SB shove - call?

Old
5NL Zoom AK in BB facing CO raise and SB shove - call? - Thu Mar 20, 2014, 11:58 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Ok, this is possibly not even worth posting, but in general I am still not sure what we do here against relative unknowns.

At the time this was CO's first raise in 5 hands.

SB is 14/14 over 29 hands (Though I am not sure at this stage what he was at the time of the hand apart from his 3bet), his 3bet was 14% at the time.

Call the shove? It doesn't look valuish, it looks like a small pocket pair, or AK for the most part. Some people do this with value hands though? It's generally terrible with value hands though so no-one should really be doing that.

HU, I am fairly happy to call, though not exactly fist pumping, but with an unknown quantity behind me I was unsure.

Making the call is of course high variance.

Old
Thu Mar 20, 2014, 12:24 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012

kinda like that ^

in all seriousness though it's a mistake folding. i prefer jamming over to isolate though since we are committed.

Last edited by birdayy; Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 12:26 PM..

Old
Thu Mar 20, 2014, 12:34 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
I would probably fold. I think in this spot, I would consider maybe calling with AKs, QQ+. Fold, watch the hand play out and make a note of what the SB 3BAI with. If the CO doesn't call just make a note that the SB 3BAI for 65bb.

If I opened from the CO and the SB, 3BAI... I'm honestly calling with 99+ and AJ+ lol. In some spots I'm calling with 66+ and AT+ if someone 3BAI or open shoves for 100bb!

Last edited by dirt eh; Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 12:45 PM..

Old
Thu Mar 20, 2014, 05:49 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2013
I'm in kamp "Birdayy".
Worst case scenario is you call and get shoved on by the players behind you. So you should get all the folding equity you can and go all-in in stead of flatcall.

against villain_2 it's probably a coinflip but for 40BB, I'm willing to take that shot.

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 09:32 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
I love Jamie Gold's reaction in that gif!

Like you say bhoy - this is almost never with QQ+, so at worst you're going to be flipping and he's going to show up with some stupid AQ-AT or KQ often enough that we are going to make a ton of money by getting all-in here.

I think calling is a slight mistake though - we aren't going to fold if V6 comes back over the top, so we might as well just move in to take the dead money and fold out any equity he has.

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 04:15 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2012
Calling was a mistake, and I was probably playing too many tables for my current mindframe towards the game in all honesty, it wasnt a strategic decision as such just a tap of a button without thinking.

Strangely, the guy played KK this way, the flop was A high though and all hearts, so I had the hand sewn up nearly on the flop as I had top pair, nut flush draw and was holding one of his potential outs.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com