Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL ZOOM, AKo X/Shove OTT TPTK NFD

Old
10NL ZOOM, AKo X/Shove OTT TPTK NFD - Thu Mar 20, 2014, 04:33 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
I played this soooo bad and got rewarded! I think things went wrong when I decided to CC preflop.

EP(50): 29/22/2.3
MP(8): 25/13/1.5

PF: I decided to call OOP... blockers to AA and KK... meh
OTF: TPTK with NFD, XC
OTT: Tanked for a long time. Original thought was to just call... but I decided that I'm free rolling vs AK in case he's bad and get's it in, and I have fold equity vs AA, KK, QQ, JJ if he's a good player???

Also, I'm not getting paid if I hit a spade. So I decided to shove here.

Once again I think the major mistake is PF, but as played would you x/shove this turn?

Last edited by dirt eh; Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 05:24 PM..

Old
Thu Mar 20, 2014, 05:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
Just wondering... what are you thinking about doing different PF ? fold or 4bet?
I do think flatcalling could get you into a tricky spot with a player yet to act but folding looks very nitty and 4bet could get ugly if you are 5bet-shoved on. So calling might not too bad a play.

I love your shove OTT for sure..

Old
Thu Mar 20, 2014, 05:23 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkleefstra View Post
Just wondering... what are you thinking about doing different PF ? fold or 4bet?
I do think flatcalling could get you into a tricky spot with a player yet to act but folding looks very nitty and 4bet could get ugly if you are 5bet-shoved on. So calling might not too bad a play.

I love your shove OTT for sure..
I actually think fold preflop... UTG opens and gets 3bet by MP.

The reason why I decided to just call was the fact that the 3bet was a PSB (3.5x). Didn't look like a value 3bet. I'd expect AA, KK to make it 0.90 (3x) but this is 10NL so who knows!

When the villain cbets and tbets the I'm convinced he has a real hand. So OTT I thought calling would have actually been the worst play. I think shoving or folding were my best options.

Old
Thu Mar 20, 2014, 05:41 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2013
Agree that calling turn is no good.

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 09:14 AM
(#5)
(Head Trainer)
Hi guys,

Well I can't disagree more on the turn play. I can't see any reasonable hand the villain has taken this line with that we're beating, nor do I believe we have any tangible fold equity vs that range. No one is folding a set here, c'mon now. We are basically targeting AK/AA to fold which I think is optimistic vs a 10NL random. The fact that he's barrelled again on this board doesn't bode well for us imo. Even if we had a defined read/knowledge that this villain would bet/fold AA 100% of the time here (our best case scenario for check/jamming and almost unrealistically optimistic), it's still super thin:

AA - 3 combos
AK - 6 combos
KK/QQ/JJ - 7 combos

Our hand has too much equity to fold getting over 3-1 immediate odds, especially since we can be tied sometimes and will chop blank rivers when it goes c/c. But raising all in seems to be clearly -EV to me given the strength of his range and the extremely limited fold equity I perceive. So it seems to me that calling is the clear play here, check-folding the river to a big 3rd barrel when we don't improve (leading when we do).

Preflop decision I like, I think flatting is better than 4-betting or folding in this situation (and I love the fact you considered folding too, not weighing all the options is a mistake and in many cases folding AK can be ruled out quickly, so a lot of players have gotten in the bad habit of not even considering it... but in this spot considering it has some merit).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:45 AM
(#6)
Dave! OTR when we hit, just lead for the villains whole stack?

I agree it was pretty bad to shove OTT but I can't see the villain calling OTR unless they hold QQ with the Q of spades.. Maybe T of spades. I can't see the villain put the rest of the money in the middle with a set once the 4th spade comes.

Or is this irrelevant? Just make the 3-1 call to win the pot and not make any more off the hand?

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:58 AM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
Shoving is a pretty large bet, I lean more towards about $3.50, but have no solid proof that it gets paid by a high enough frequency to be more profitable than a shove, just gut instinct since most of his calls will fall into the "I'm going to be a hero" or "I can't believe how unlucky I just got" category, and the smaller bet seems more palatable to both.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 11:45 AM
(#8)
Thanks Dave! FWIW... #fischigespieler

Last edited by dirt eh; Fri Mar 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM..

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 04:45 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
I lean more towards about $3.50
I approve of this message.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com