Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NLHE / A6s / Fold on the river

Old
NLHE / A6s / Fold on the river - Thu Mar 20, 2014, 04:49 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi,
Here's another one

Note: 0.25c / player had just arrived.

Old
Thu Mar 20, 2014, 05:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2011
Are you raising for steal? I would raise to 250-300 if then 3-bet i'd fold. As played flop is decent for our hand top pair plus redraw to nut flush. I'd be looking to check raise the flop when he checks back the flop i'm betting the turn and as my bet would be for around 30% of my stack then i'd just shove the turn.

Old
Thu Mar 20, 2014, 10:06 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi shynleigh355!

When it folds to me with A6s, I'm going to make a standard opening raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper at this blind level (300). I do not want to raise to less than this or the opps are going to be getting the correct odds to try to outdraw me. If it then folds to the BB, then they're priced in to play basically ATC back at me and I will have no clue where I stand preflop.

I then get 3-bet and when it folds to me, I need to fold to this bet. I do not have a strong enough hand to 4-bet and being out of position, I need to raise or fold.

If I see the flop (which I would not), I absolutely need to lead the flop for a standard value bet (1/2 pot). I have top pair and a nut flush draw and I need to take a shot to win the pot now and also to help narrow the opp's range.

The same thing, especially with the opp checking behind on the flop... I absolutely need to lead the turn for 1/2 pot. I cannot check 2 streets in a row, as now the opp is getting the correct price not once, but twice, in order to try to outdraw me.

On the river, IF the opp has called a flop and turn bet, I'm checking and hoping to go to showdown. Otherwise, I need to lead. I cannot check/call having checked the prior two streets.

The best line is to std raise preflop and fold to the 3-bet. If I see the flop or turn, I absolutely need to lead both. Players that play passively will see beats like this over and over as they continually give the opps the correct odds and if they get the correct odds, they WILL win chips on average in the long run.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com