Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NLHE / A8s / Call on the river

Old
NLHE / A8s / Call on the river - Thu Mar 20, 2014, 07:29 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi,
This is a 10 min blind tournament (LAPL bronze), hence why I was opening "looser". Despite the result of this hand, I'm not convinced it was the best move. I was really hoping for some missed draws right over there, but it was quite different. If I had folded, I would have lost a lot of chips in a spot where I should have won the pot. Some tips on how to handle this value/bluff situation ?
Note: frequent limper / didn't play enough post-flop.

Last edited by shynleigh355; Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 07:33 PM..

Old
Thu Mar 20, 2014, 08:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2011
Fold pre

Old
Thu Mar 20, 2014, 09:39 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Why play a weak hand OOP with a 100 BB stack?

Old
Thu Mar 20, 2014, 10:35 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi shynleigh355!

With longer blind levels, this allows me to be able to play tighter, not looser. The smaller the blind level, the looser that I need to play due to the blinds going up more frequently. With longer ones, I want to wait and play more hands in position or with better hands. Playing more hands, especially marginal ones OOP is a leak that many players have.

With A8s from UTG, this is a snap-fold for me. The range that I should be opening from UTG here is AK+ or maybe AQs. Any other non-paired ace is too weak and needs to be folded.

If I did have a hand that I wanted to play, I need to make standard bets. 3BB+1BB for each limper preflop at this blind level and 1/2 pot postflop against one opp. Making non-standard bets are most likely tells for hand strengths and if an observant opp picks up on it, they will notice that the overbet on the flop with a board that should have missed the overwhelming majority of a preflop raiser's range is a bluff and come over the top... which A8s must then fold to.

As played, can't call the river with nothing. I either need to lead the river as a bluff, for 1/2 pot or check/fold.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com