Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL 97s on BTN facing flop raise

Old
10NL 97s on BTN facing flop raise - Fri Mar 21, 2014, 03:34 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Few things relevant to the hand, I think:

I was one tabling 10NL Zoom at this point as I was also playing an MTT. If the BB was checking on things like this he may think I am a fish, maybe not, he's a relative unknown to me as is the OR.

Pre-flop is probably marginal, but it was a min raise, and the two players behind didnt look too aggressive on what stats I did have on them. No 3bets etc. As I was hoping, no raise behind, the BB just calls.

On the flop I hit middle and bottom pair and stick out a bet when it checks round to me. OR goes away and BB now raises me. Now, not so long ago, my default line would have been to raise it up again, but if I have followed advice on similar hands posted here correctly, then against his stacking off range I am often destroyed if I am behind to a set/two pair/combo draws. So I just call, its a wettish flop and lots of suited/connected hands can be in there.

Given the turn sizing, even though another potential scare card has arrive, I can only call, right?

Given he checks river, is this a mandatory check-back, is there any justification in going for some degree of thin value or would that just be wafer thin given flush draws bricked and there is a four to a straight out there?

Pretty sure I know the answer on that one but would welcome opinions on the hand as a whole.

Apologies for the wall of text but as I said, I was one tabling, so I had ages to think about the hand in game for a change.

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 06:38 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
I think you called too light given the stack size of the villain, and even when the v5 is with 100bb stack the 3bet is standard.

I would still B/F OTR, had he strong hand the A would not change things, but he checked. Then again, the only hand you might get value is paired Ax hand drawing.

Last edited by braveslice; Fri Mar 21, 2014 at 06:44 AM..

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 07:36 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveslice View Post
I think you called too light given the stack size of the villain, and even when the v5 is with 100bb stack the 3bet is standard.

I would still B/F OTR, had he strong hand the A would not change things, but he checked. Then again, the only hand you might get value is paired Ax hand drawing.
Yeah, pre-flop wasn't great by any of the people involved in the hand. I was single tabling and bored, the hand looked pretty, I hit the call button. I'm obviously not going to be repeating that too often.

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 08:22 AM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
Looks like a busted flush draw. I think i would bet small for thin value, that nut flush draw that hits top pair on the river. But without reads i think it's maybe too thin.

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 09:19 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2013
I think i like betting the river to get value from AXcc, he might show up with ATcc from time to time and J9 but i think ATcc will check the turn so im value betting all his Ax on the river.

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 09:24 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2012
Do not bet river. I doubt he has a x/calling range here, and if he does he probably has a set that wants to bluff catch missed draws.

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:26 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi bhoy,

Defniitely fold preflop vs. a 23bb stack's open.

Personally I think continuing on the turn is poor. This turn card is one of the worst in the deck. There are so many ways we are beat already, and all rivers that don't fill us up leave us the same (which is already fairly bad) or make us worse. We are basically calling the turn hoping that 1) a blank comes and 2) he checks. Even when that happens we will still lose to sets and 2 pairs sometimes.

I feel like quoting Gareth is appropriate here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethC23
Don't get wed to these pretty hands. Pretty hands, like pretty girls, don't always make the best of wives.
PS- I agree with birdayy that betting the river is too thin.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:50 AM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi bhoy,

Defniitely fold preflop vs. a 23bb stack's open.

Personally I think continuing on the turn is poor. This turn card is one of the worst in the deck. There are so many ways we are beat already, and all rivers that don't fill us up leave us the same (which is already fairly bad) or make us worse. We are basically calling the turn hoping that 1) a blank comes and 2) he checks. Even when that happens we will still lose to sets and 2 pairs sometimes.

I feel like quoting Gareth is appropriate here:

PS- I agree with birdayy that betting the river is too thin.
I guess you dont think raising the flop with flush draws is good apart from maybe A8cc and 68cc?

So on this turn he shouldn't have many if any bluffs?

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 11:03 AM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
I don't expect him to have many semi-bluffs, no... and some of those flopped flush draws got there on the turn (A8, KQ, T9, 98)

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 04:12 PM
(#10)
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I wasnt thrilled with the hand at all which is why I posted it.

Thankfully he did show up with a worse hand. 95c for a pair plus flush draw which bricked.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com