Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NLZ5 6max: ATo, SB vs BTN

Old
NLZ5 6max: ATo, SB vs BTN - Fri Mar 21, 2014, 09:13 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2014
Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $4.20 (84 bb) VPIP: 17, PFR: 10, AF: 2,0, Hands: 82
Hero (SB): $5.09 (101.8 bb)
BB: $1.40 (28 bb)
UTG: $5 (100 bb)
MP: $5 (100 bb)
CO: $5 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A T
3 folds, BTN raises to $0.15, Hero calls $0.13, BB folds

Flop: ($0.35) 9 7 K (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.30, BTN raises to $0.65, Hero calls $0.35

Turn: ($1.65) 3 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

River: ($2.65) K (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

My main question is about preflop, is it better to 3bet here or calling is the best option? Villain opens 40% from BTN, no info on his 3bet calling range. My thinking was that if i 3bet here im likely to isolate myself vs hands that dominate me like AQ/AJ. I would certainly 3bet with lower Ax's here that cant be played profitably without initiative. But i thought that by calling ATo i keep his range wide and can play my hand as a bluffcatcher. While discussing this hand with my friend he said that i should 3bet here because playing ATo without position and initiative is too tough, but im thinking that its gonna be uglier if i 3bet and he calls with the top of his range.

Another spot is OTF, i dont have a made hand but i flopped a nut flush draw, while calling certainly wouldnt be bad here i decided to go for a raise because i called preflop and his range is pretty wide so i might make him fold some better hands like A9/A7 or maybe even some low Kx's. Is my thinking good here?

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 09:33 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
I prefer calling pre unless he never folds to 3bets.

The flop I think we should just be calling. We have a lot of equity vs most hands but don't really love getting it in.

^ That's what i'd say vs a normal cbet size.

Given he did bet so small I think we should raise, and calling the flop 3b like you did.

OTT he gives us another insane price, so we cant fold.

And river we miss but he's never folding to a donk bet or anything so i think it's fine x/folding.

Well played.

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 11:09 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
PF:
I like flatting here. The BB is really short! (28bb) 2 reasons for flatting here.
- We can flat and bring the shorty along, giving him a good price to see a flop.
- We can flat, hoping the shorty squeezes all in. If the BTN folds I would actually call a SQUEEZE SHOVE from the BB with ATo

OTF:
A X/C is our most standard play here. We could also choose to DONK out here. I actually think DONKING out here has a ton of merit due to the fact that if we X/C and hit, it can get tricky to get paid.

As played, the villain makes it insanely small. I think both a call or a raise is fine. His small bet could mean strength or weakness.

OTT:
Standard.

OTR:
Standard.

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 09:18 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi booogie,

I agree with birdayy's analysis, think you played this fine, and if he c-bet a normal sizing then just call the flop.

Quote:
so i might make him fold some better hands like A9/A7 or maybe even some low Kx's. Is my thinking good here?
I don't think he's folding top pair, but worse pairs may let it go, particularly if they don't hold a diamond.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com