50nl - Classic sigh/call otr?

Old
50nl - Classic sigh/call otr? - Fri Mar 21, 2014, 09:17 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
Stats

Player2 ( $56.62 USD ) - VPIP: 86, PFR: 28, 3B: 14, AF: 5.3, Hands: 102

Player5 ( $55.72 USD ) - VPIP: 26, PFR: 17, 3B: 0, AF: 1.7, Hands: 23

I probably should have raised this pre for value, but he never folds and i'll have to play 77 OOP vs a super wide range which is gonna get very hard very quickly.

Player2 is obviously a fish. Turn I think we can't fold with immediate and implied odds given we are drawing to the *****d end of the straight.

River... is ewwwwwww.

Sigh/call given we are getting 7:1?

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:18 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
River is a pretty easy fold here, neglecting all decisions that led to this point i the hand. I think that 7 to 1 is a deceptive price. It is not a price you will encounter that often, so you are unfamiliar with it. That being said, how often could you possibly be good here? I would guess 5 to 10%. That makes 7 to 1 a pretty clear fold.

It might be lower than 5 to 10%, had I a gun to my head I would guess 2.5% of the time will we be good here on the river, perhaps less. But even if we build in for my overconfidence in that read, 10% of the time will still lose you a ton of money in the long term if you call here 7 to 1 being 12.5% needed.

One of the central limitations in our brain's natural state and how we need to think about poker is our inability to deal with small probabilities. Getting accustomed to 50/50 and 33/66 is one thing. Having a good intuition about 12.5/87.5 is another. I don't think this is particularly close to a call on the river.

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:49 AM
(#3)
Is it not possible that he can be value betting two pair or an underset a small % of the time given he's a less experienced player somewhat dissociated with relative hand strength?

Given the error margin is 2.5% wouldn't this tip the odds in our favor?

Also;

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethC23 View Post
But even if we build in for my overconfidence in that read, 10% of the time will still lose you a ton of money in the long term if you call here 7 to 1 being 12.5% needed.
Then you said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethC23 View Post
It is not a price you will encounter that often, so you are unfamiliar with it.
So if we don't encounter it often how will it accumulate to a ton of money being lost?

Old
Fri Mar 21, 2014, 05:45 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2012
I think Gareth means that over the sample size of opportunities where this particular bet size is encountered, you will lose a tonne of money, rather than you are going to be losing a tonne of money over an overall sample size. I probably said that pretty dumbly but....

I'd have made the call, which probably means it shouldn't be made.

Old
Sat Mar 22, 2014, 03:30 PM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
Is it not possible that he can be value betting two pair or an underset a small % of the time given he's a less experienced player somewhat dissociated with relative hand strength?

Given the error margin is 2.5% wouldn't this tip the odds in our favor?
dont find excuses,
dont lack discipline and fold

Old
Sun Mar 23, 2014, 02:14 AM
(#6)
Quote:

So if we don't encounter it often how will it accumulate to a ton of money being lost?
try playing 3M hands

Old
Sun Mar 23, 2014, 04:15 AM
(#7)
Haha ok.

Does the fact that he turned up with 45 matter since it is so close?

(i dont like being results orientated but given it is so close i think it matters a little)

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 11:31 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Haha ok.

Does the fact that he turned up with 45 matter since it is so close?

(i dont like being results orientated but given it is so close i think it matters a little)
Yes, it matters a great deal in this spot.

So once we have evidence like that I tend to label villain "BWP" or Bets without Purpose.

Then when we have that note and get prices like this in spots like this, we basically can never fold as the folding error is much bigger than the calling error

good hand

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com