Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

MicroMillions Event 86 - Top pair 2nd kicker vs Checkraise Shove

Old
MicroMillions Event 86 - Top pair 2nd kicker vs Checkraise Shove - Sat Mar 22, 2014, 12:24 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
This was about level 3 or 4. I had just moved to the table a few hands ago, and I hadn't seen the SB villain play yet, although the open-limper was a fish.

When I saw the SB raise, I decided to 3-bet to isolate, as I didn't want to play A-Qo in a multi-way pot. This worked out, as the SB only flat called.

When he checked the flop, I made a C-bet, to which he overshoved. I tried ranging him - I did not think he had AK or Aces, as I thought he would have 4-bet me preflop. I also didn't think he had pocket 5s or 6s, as raising these hands out of position when you're easily deep enough to setmine is never a good idea. So I thought he was either overplaying a weaker Ace, at which point I was far ahead, or he was semibluffing with two spades, to which I was a small favourite.

Needless to say, I was wrong, but I got lucky.

Was A-K something I should have thought he had? And even if not, was this still a call I should have made?

Old
Sat Mar 22, 2014, 03:13 PM
(#2)
Whoops, meant to post this in the Tourney Analysis section. Could someone move it, please?

Old
Sat Mar 22, 2014, 04:19 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
I really don't like your play here at all. When you are deep stacked, 90bb, you need to be more careful than when you have 15bb with antes, and have to get it allin with good hands. You should have played this more like a cash game. With 90bb you reraised 5bb to 15bb with just AQo, not a good cash game play, bloating the pot against an unknown player. With an isolation hand that is connected, JTs, T9s, TT, he will sometimes call to try and win your stack, He will also call with AK, JJ+, while throwing away dominated iso hands like AJ, KJ, and often AQo (I would have folded AQo to an unknown player making a big 3bet in a cash game here). This means on an A high flop, he check folds everything that you are beating, and check raise shoving into a big pot everything that beats you. You were way off on his range, he is never bluffing here. His RANGE IS NEVER WEAK when he check raise shoves here for these sized stacks. You should have bet/folded to a shove on this flop with the size of your remaining stack.

Preflop, flatting in position with these stack sizes is much better, then, on this flop, calling normal sized bets on flop and turn with the intention of folding to a big bet on river would have been best. Since he would continue with AT, AJ or AQ for at least one bet and maybe two. Of course you would have made your hand on the river and either reraise or bet when he checked, happy to get it allin.

Getting it allin on a flop with TPSK with with these stack sizes will cost you a lot of chips in the long run.
Always beware of calling big shoves when you have been representing a big hand. I hate to think about how much money I've lost in cash games calling big shoves from unknown players who later turned out to be NITS.

lycowolf

Old
Sat Mar 22, 2014, 05:33 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
*Moved to tourney section* - Fadyen

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 02:57 AM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2014
tbh i think you both played wrong why reraise other than thinking he was on a blind steal and trying to tell him to back off and when he called and the flop came a high i dont understand why you would check holding ak as you wouldnt want to give anyone a free card to chase for a flush, then your bet was too weak for someone holding top pair on that board what probably lead him to believe you didnt have a ace and was just trying it on and tbh at this point i couldnt say i wouldnt have called either as his play left you with no real idea what he had, the only thing what would help you make this decision would be if you had seen how he played previous hands

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 05:09 PM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Chrisxof

I disagree with the 3bet and here's why. Villain is showing a tremendous amount of strength. Think of it this way, what hands would you be 5x'ing two limpers out of the small blind with? Would you do it with AJ? I doubt it, A10? Certainly not.

It's very likely that villain is holding AQ+1010+, maybe 99+.
Why are 3betting AQ? Are we doing it for value.... no were not, not in this spot anyway. We're also suuuuper deep, we have over 80 big blinds but once we decide to 3bet we have all of a sudden put in close to 20% of our stack with what's likely to be the worst hand.

Post flop is standard, there's no getting away from the hand now that the pot is as bloated as it is and the only realistic hand that beats you is AK.

I would have elected to flat villains raise preflop and continue to play the hand rather passively. This isn't a good spot for us to 3bet and it's not even a great spot for us to flat call but we ought to be calling none the less incase villain is capable of spewing.

Cheers, Chris.

Old
Sat Apr 12, 2014, 04:13 PM
(#7)
Thanks for the reply, Chris.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from - playing that size of a pot so deep isn't a great idea. Guess all I could do was suck out, which I did.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com