Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL 6m zoom - - J7o from SB steal, flopped 2nd pair

Old
5NL 6m zoom - - J7o from SB steal, flopped 2nd pair - Sat Mar 22, 2014, 01:20 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Question: Was this standard weak play given how dangerous board was, or in any point, was there a chance to try to take some value, or was there a reason to charge his draws?

Villain: 268 hands, reg softer tag, 17/13/5 - af:2, wwsf:44, wtsd:37, wsd:50, att to steal:17, fold to steal bb:6/7

Notes: 3b KK, blinds call JTo

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com/

Button ($4.43)
Hero (SB) ($7.54)
BB ($7.89)
UTG ($6.73)
MP ($5.67)
CO ($5.20)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7, J
4 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.30) 10, J, A (2 players)
Hero checks, BB checks

Turn: ($0.30) 5 (2 players)
Hero checks, BB checks

River: ($0.30) 2 (2 players)
Hero checks, BB checks

Total pot: $0.30 | Rake: $0.01

Last edited by braveslice; Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old
Sat Mar 22, 2014, 07:00 PM
(#2)
hmmm, I think OTT value bet could be in order against heart draw.

Old
Sat Mar 22, 2014, 07:03 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
I suppose villain might try picking off a river bet with something like KT/QT or even an underpair, but I like checking it down, with a plan to call river if villain bets (which he'll do with some bluffs and sometimes with better jacks (KJ/QJ)).
FWIW, J7o is just outside my standard BvB stealing range, but this villain is tight enough that you can probably steal much wider than usual to exploit his propensity to not defend. In short, I like the way you played this one. Blind vs Blind is always tricky. When OOP, I prefer keeping the pot small, and prefer to bluff-catch with my medium strength hands, rather than value-bet thinly. I'm really not sure if that style is ideal, so I'll be interested to hear from the analysers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 01:52 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi braveslice,

Like Arty, J7o is a marginal steal hand for me. I would prefer the bb to be below 14vpip before stealing with ATC.

The flop seems like it connects with much of his calling range, but being A high is good for you I feel. If you are going to cbet, you will need to be prepared to fire another barrel on the turn most likely in order to get him off a draw or second pair type hand. This can be profitable, but does build the pot in an unclear situation.

Checking the flop is safe and keeps the pot under control. However, once the villian has checked the flop and the turn, it seems likely you are ahead. A bet on the turn will probably win the pot for you. The villain seems fairly passive so you will presumably be able to get to the showdown with your second pair. Nonetheless, I prefer betting the turn to protect against all the draws. This can also win you some extra value from the same hands, Qx, Kx and one heart. These hands will sometimes call a turn bet, but will fold to a bet on the river all the times they miss.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 06:17 AM
(#5)
ty!

I find it very difficult to find balance between agressive and pot control, the default move is agression, but passive lines do lot of money with relatively weak hands when succesfull.

Arty I was thinking about the same than you did. Further I though he is wondering why I did not bet Ahi flop and maybe just checks the second pair OTF (KJ or something).

Last edited by braveslice; Mon Mar 24, 2014 at 06:22 AM..

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 09:59 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveslice View Post
ty!

I find it very difficult to find balance between agressive and pot control.
We all struggle with finding this balance. I try to think about several different aspects. For example, how likely is my hand to improve on a latter street? If I bet, will hands beating me fold? Will hands Im beating call?

It takes practice, but thinking about these questions with regard to the spesific villain and situation will lead to improved results compared to just following a default plan.

GL

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com