Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

did i play this wrong

Old
did i play this wrong - Sun Mar 23, 2014, 10:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2014
MicroMillions-094: $5.50 NL Hold'em [1R1A], $75K Gtd

as title says or was the caller just a bad player

Last edited by donkkilla76; Sun Mar 23, 2014 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: add more info

Old
Sun Mar 23, 2014, 12:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi donkkilla76!

With 99 in the BB, I get a raise to 1500 by the SB. With this being BvB, I'm ahead of the raiser's range, so I'm going to 3-bet. A standard 3-bet is to 3X the previous bet, but this bet will basically pot-commit me (put 1/3 of my remaining chips into the pot), so I need to and will shove.

Now, the decision is up to the SB and with a broadway ace, if I'm in the opp's shoes, unless the BB is playing extremely tight (a very, very low % of hands), I'm absolutely calling the shove, as I have the equity in my AT to call.

This is a standard play by both players in the hand and is a coin-flip that can go either way.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 23, 2014, 12:19 PM
(#3)
now to me it was a very weak call i can see what your saying but tbh what are you hoping for with a10 if im holding a ace your relying on the 10 and again if im holding a pp your hoping its small as it only leaves your ace in play for you to win i myself couldnt risk my tourney life on such a weak call when to fold wasnt really costing him that much (and yes im a tight player)

Last edited by donkkilla76; Sun Mar 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old
Sun Mar 23, 2014, 02:05 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Your question cannot be answered properly without knowing your reads and your plan for this hand. Please tell us why you made the decision so you can receive proper feedback in return.

Old
Sun Mar 23, 2014, 02:22 PM
(#5)
from watching him play it was obvious he was just trying to steal so being as i hadnt played many hands i thought pushing all in which meant he would have to risk half his stack would put him off and he would fold and if not at least i had half a chance

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com